Anodized aluminum pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
And I was looking at these new hard anodized aluminum pans that are “non stick” (Anolon 83324 Bronze Collection). But they do not tell anything about what makes them “non-stickable”. Can I burn oil onto the surface to replace what ever it is when it come off??

And they claim that the surface is twice as hard as stainless steel, with out telling how thin the anodized part is. So I expect the pan to disintegrate with in a few years.

Do you think that a cast iron crepe pan would be a better idea. I know how to season it, but I don't know how often I would have to do it.

From http://www.anodizing.org/?page=what_is_anodizing

"Anodizing is an electrochemical process that converts the metal surface into a decorative, durable, corrosion-resistant, anodic oxide finish. Aluminum is ideally suited to anodizing, although other nonferrous metals, such as magnesium and titanium, also can be anodized.

The anodic oxide structure originates from the aluminum substrate and is composed entirely of aluminum oxide. This aluminum oxide is not applied to the surface like paint or plating, but is fully integrated with the underlying aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel. It has a highly ordered, porous structure that allows for secondary processes such as coloring and sealing."

So it's not a coating that will peel off. If you want to use it for making crepes, this would be better than cast iron.

My guess is that they are traditional non-stick pans. "Bronze" is the shiny new catch-phrase in cookware, in my view. I have Anolon anodized non-stick pans with a grey non-stick surface both inside and out. The interior coating, however, is much stronger than the exterior - the pans are at least 14 years old and going strong. Only my large "chicken fryer" is showing enough wear that I need to think about buying a replacement pan.

I say treat it as a traditional non-stick pan. If you want a non-stick pan for making crepes, Steve Kroll has a carbon steel pan that he bought for many uses. Carbon steel is similar to cast iron in the fact that it needs seasoning. It differs in weight, however, in being much lighter. If you want to read any of Steve's posts about his pan, I found one you can use as a starting point, then feel free to search around if you want more information.

My guess is that they are traditional non-stick pans. "Bronze" is the shiny new catch-phrase in cookware, in my view. I have Anolon anodized non-stick pans with a grey non-stick surface both inside and out. The interior coating, however, is much stronger than the exterior - the pans are at least 14 years old and going strong. Only my large "chicken fryer" is showing enough wear that I need to think about buying a replacement pan.

I say treat it as a traditional non-stick pan. If you want a non-stick pan for making crepes, Steve Kroll has a carbon steel pan that he bought for many uses. Carbon steel is similar to cast iron in the fact that it needs seasoning. It differs in weight, however, in being much lighter. If you want to read any of Steve's posts about his pan, I found one you can use as a starting point, then feel free to search around if you want more information.

To me, a "traditional" non-stick pan is coated with Teflon, which will eventually start to peel, especially if metal utensils are used on it. An anodized aluminum pan is not like that.

The interior is "stronger" because it's not a coating - it was created by an electrochemical process that chemically changed the surface of the pan.

well it sounds like I could bake on oil to the anodized surface.

I had a nice teflon wok that the teflon did nto last very long. I still use the pan.

Seasoning

using my old crepe pan, I still had a spot on the pan that was sticking Injera, so I thought I should try burning (my oven is dead) more layers of oil on my crepe pan, but I spaced out and came back to find that the oil was burnt to carbon, and flaking off. So I get to start over again at a lower heat to keep the center from burning too much?? So I am hoping that a cast iron pan will hold the oil much better so not much is needed.

Maybe I was using the wrong kind of oil, toasted sesame oil is what I had on hand. Does non drying oil work better? I found an article that says to use only 100% flaxseed oil. Seems like walnut oil would be just as good.

And the article says to slowly heat and cool the pan for each layer of oil applied, 6 times! Do you think it would be easyer or harder to season a plain steel pan that is thin??

I once found a cast iron pan with oil or something burned on so hard I could not get it off, maybe it was plastic. I didn't try cooking with it.

Maybe I should just forget about seasoning the steel pans and get an anodized aluminum pan with a very thick bottom. Is there a brand that is better than the one mentioned above, that is not much more expensive?

Last edited:
Anodizing is just a way of finishing aluminum. The grey finished Calphalon is anodized aluminum.

I believe Calphalon's non-stick uses some form of teflon/PTFE/etcetera on the cooking surface.

An anodized aluminum pan on its own doesn't seem to me like a great non-stick surface. It would basically be like regular Calphalon.

CD

using my old crepe pan, I still had a spot on the pan that was sticking Injera, so I thought I should try burning (my oven is dead) more layers of oil on my crepe pan, but I spaced out and came back to find that the oil was burnt to carbon, and flaking off. So I get to start over again at a lower heat to keep the center from burning too much?? So I am hoping that a cast iron pan will hold the oil much better so not much is needed.

Maybe I was using the wrong kind of oil, toasted sesame oil is what I had on hand. Does non drying oil work better? I found an article that says to use only 100% flaxseed oil. Seems like walnut oil would be just as good.

And the article says to slowly heat and cool the pan for each layer of oil applied, 6 times! Do you think it would be easyer or harder to season a plain steel pan that is thin??

I once found a cast iron pan with oil or something burned on so hard I could not get it off, maybe it was plastic. I didn't try cooking with it.

Maybe I should just forget about seasoning the steel pans and get an anodized aluminum pan with a very thick bottom. Is there a brand that is better than the one mentioned above, that is not much more expensive?

Flax seed oil is good. It's what I use, particularly on display items, and the method you read works well. But it is not the only workable oil. Others such as vegetable oils, Crisco, also work well. The key is an oil that polymerizes easily. I don't know is sesame oil fits into that category. I've never used it or walnut oil.

I tend to think we over think cast iron seasoning. The key is multiple thin coats of a polymerizing oil.. Even just using the pan will eventually produce a polymerized coating. I've got a couple well seasoned pans that were never officially seasoned. Just used.

Your CI pan you could not get clean had burnt on cooking residue on it. It can be removed by either scraping (tedious), using a chucked wire brush, passing it through the clean cycle on an oven, or immersing in a bucket of lye for a few days.

CI is nearly impossible to destroy. It can be cracked by huge temperature extremes. Removing from a very hot oven and immersing in cold water can crack it. That's about it.

Flax seed oil is good. It's what I use, particularly on display items, and the method you read works well. But it is not the only workable oil. Others such as vegetable oils, Crisco, also work well. The key is an oil that polymerizes easily. I don't know is sesame oil fits into that category. I've never used it or walnut oil.

I tend to think we over think cast iron seasoning. The key is multiple thin coats of a polymerizing oil.. Even just using the pan will eventually produce a polymerized coating. I've got a couple well seasoned pans that were never officially seasoned. Just used.

Your CI pan you could not get clean had burnt on cooking residue on it. It can be removed by either scraping (tedious), using a chucked wire brush, passing it through the clean cycle on an oven, or immersing in a bucket of lye for a few days.

CI is nearly impossible to destroy. It can be cracked by huge temperature extremes. Removing from a very hot oven and immersing in cold water can crack it. That's about it.
Agree with all of this. Sesame seed and walnut seed oils are expensive. I would not suggest using them just for this. Use them for seasoning your food [emoji2]

I use canola oil to season my cast iron.

The anodized aluminum nonstick pans I have have traditional nonstick interiors. The anodized portion is only on the outside, with Teflon or similar on the inside.

I wouldn't believe that simply anodizing would be all that durable. We used to hard anodize some parts on the machinery I made parts for, but it still scratched fairly easily when scraped with steel. It had to be used in the right application. Certainly tougher than bare aluminum, but not anything I'd trust to hold up as a cooking surface unless used with the proper tools, just like traditional nonstick.

And I was looking at these new hard anodized aluminum pans that are “non stick” (Anolon 83324 Bronze Collection). But they do not tell anything about what makes them “non-stickable”. Can I burn oil onto the surface to replace what ever it is when it come off??
There seems to be some confusion here. The pans you are looking at have a Teflon (PTFE) coating. That's what makes them non-stick. You can't season these kinds of pans, because... well... they are non-stick and any season you apply won't adhere. Not that it would be necessary anyway.

It should also be noted that the PTFE coating on this pan isn't made using PFOA, which is a questionable substance, and under scrutiny by the EPA and the American Cancer Society. Most quality Teflon pans are no longer made using PFOA.

Do you think that a cast iron crepe pan would be a better idea. I know how to season it, but I don't know how often I would have to do it.
I guess it's a personal choice. As mentioned above, I like carbon steel pans quite a bit, and use them for about 90% of my cooking. They only take a little more work to care for and use than other pans. Are they completely non-stick? Not in the sense that Teflon is non-stick, but when seasoned properly and used correctly, foods float in oil above the metal surface, won't adhere to the pan. I make eggs in mine all the time. They simply don't stick.

By the way, walnut oil, toasted sesame oil, or olive oil shouldn't be used for seasoning a pan. They contain a lot of dissolved solids, and are better used as flavoring or finishing oils than for cooking. For seasoning a pan, flaxseed oil works well (my favorite), but you can also use lard, crisco, or coconut oil.

I have had a Calphalon anodized aluminum crepe pan. Because I now have an induction cook top I could no longer use it and gave it away. Now I use a carbon steel crepe pan. Both did the job and made crepes with no sticking. Of the two I think I prefer the carbon steel.

There seems to be some confusion here. The pans you are looking at have a Teflon (PTFE) coating. That's what makes them non-stick. You can't season these kinds of pans, because... well... they are non-stick and any season you apply won't adhere. Not that it would be necessary anyway.

It should also be noted that the PTFE coating on this pan isn't made using PFOA, which is a questionable substance, and under scrutiny by the EPA and the American Cancer Society. Most quality Teflon pans are no longer made using PFOA.

There is definitely some confusion here. From everything I've read, hard-anodized and Teflon-coated are not the same thing. Can you show me something that says they are?

http://the-cookingpot.com/hard-anodized-cookware-vs-non-stick-cookware/?fdx_switcher=true

https://www.hunker.com/12383899/differences-between-nonstick-and-anodized-cookware

My hard anodized Calphalon pan had no coating. The anodizing process made for a very smooth and slick surface all over and that surface was harder than steel. Good stuff.

There is definitely some confusion here. From everything I've read, hard-anodized and Teflon-coated are not the same thing. Can you show me something that says they are?
I never said any such thing.

Referring specifically to the Anolon "Bronze" pans the OP asked about, the pans themselves are hard-anodized aluminum, but they also have a non-stick coating applied. Analon uses a Dupont product called Autograph 2 for their non-stick coating (basically it's a step up from Teflon).

From the product description:
Metal utensil-safe Anolon Advanced Bronze features a stunning combination of shape and color. The sophisticated palette of warm bronze exterior coupled with deep chocolate interior is enhanced by its softly flared tulip-shaped profile. The collection's heavy gauge, hard-anodized construction ensures efficient, even heat distribution for exceptional gourmet cooking performance. DuPont'۪s rugged Autograph 2 nonstick surface inside is ideal for both healthy cooking and easy cleanup. Restaurant tested by professional chefs, Autograph 2 delivers superior durability that stands up to the rigors of a professional kitchen Revolutionary Anolon SureGrip handles, feature comfortable silicone rubber over durable stainless steel, providing a confident grip, that is also oven safe to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The glass lids allow you to monitor food while it cooks without losing heat or moisture. This Anolon Advanced Bronze set offers a sophisticated look, professional performance and a wonderful variety of sizes and shapes that will complement every kitchen.​

It should be noted that there are a few manufacturers that make hard-anodized aluminum pans without applying a non-stick polymer to the cooking surface (Calphalon is one), but most still use some variation of Teflon.

Last edited:

Hard Anodized Cookware vs. Non-stick Cookware: what is the best non stick cookware?

https://www.hunker.com/12383899/differences-between-nonstick-and-anodized-cookware

I think Steve was referencing a hard anodized pan with an added non-stick coating.

https://shop.anolon.com/Cookware/Anolon-Advanced-Bronze-9.5-Inch-Crepe-Pan-Bronze-83324.html

I never said any such thing.

Referring specifically to the Anolon "Bronze" pans the OP asked about, the pans themselves are hard-anodized aluminum, but they also have a non-stick coating applied. Analon uses a Dupont product called Autograph 2 for their non-stick coating (basically it's a step up from Teflon)...

You said:

There seems to be some confusion here. The pans you are looking at have a Teflon (PTFE) coating.

But thanks for clearing up what you meant.

Some one said grape seed oil is ok, and afordable. I will try doing my carbon steel pan again at a lower temp after I clean it with a wire brush in my grinder.

I burnt oil on to my old wok that used to have telfon, and it works good....maybe I need to not add up very much oil also, just 6 thin layers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom