Another what is it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
Well actually 3. ;)

I was cleaning out "The Drawer". (You all know the one I mean.) and found them.

First.
IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

It looks like some sort of zester perhaps?

Second.

IMG_0043.JPG

Anything to do with pie crusts or pasta?

Third.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

Again another zester?
It's called The "Monarch".
It's Stainless Steel.
and was Made In England.
At least thats whats stamped on it.

I'm sure these will be easy for the crew here but I'm not sure what they are :( and would like to know. :)

The top and bottom ones are zesters. Just firmly scrape the area with the holes across the flesh of whatever you're zesting. If you run your finger along the row of holes, one edge of the rows should feel a bit sharp.

The second one is most likely a tool used to cut lattice for pies and/or to cut wide noodles. That's what I would use it for. I've seen single-wheeled ones for cutting pie dough, but never seen a dual one. Looks like it has some age on it. Perhaps the '30s or '40s.

I think the first item might be a tool to make shaved ice. The teeth are too big for zesting.

I think the first item might be a tool to make shaved ice. The teeth are too big for zesting.

I agree looks like an ice shaver I once had.

The third one is obviously an elipse stencil. If someone is dieting and you have to give them half a desert, and don't want them to feel bad, you can hold that over the plate, and dust with powdered sugar or chocolate shavings, so it is 1/2 desert ...

It will make them feel less awkward, as they know they can have the rest of the desert tomorrow.

The top and bottom ones are zesters. Just firmly scrape the area with the holes across the flesh of whatever you're zesting. If you run your finger along the row of holes, one edge of the rows should feel a bit sharp.

The second one is most likely a tool used to cut lattice for pies and/or to cut wide noodles. That's what I would use it for. I've seen single-wheeled ones for cutting pie dough, but never seen a dual one. Looks like it has some age on it. Perhaps the '30s or '40s.

I think you're right about the 3rd one but don't know about the first one.
There are no sharp edges to it at all.

And yes the second one has some age on it.

It's from my Mother or Grandmother who passed long ago.:angel:

The first one looks like something used to decorate fruits. They might be part of a carving set like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vktech%C2%AE-Culinary-Carving-vegetable-Garnishing/dp/B00MPG424C

I think the second one is for cutting pastry or fresh pasta with decorative edges, like the lacy edges on lasagna noodles.

That's sorta where I was tending.
But all I can see is it scoring the surface. Why the concave surface on one side?

The pasta double wheel, maybe for cutting a strip of ravioli.

Amazing Double Wheel Design Pasta Cutter Jigger Jagger Antique Vintage | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

That's a nice link but it has both pastry cutter and pie crimper.

Who is who and what is what. ;)

I agree about it not being about zesting.
But it's a spoon sized utensil.
Do you think shaving ice would warrant such a small device?

Last edited:
erehweslefox,

Please define an elipse stencil.

I as sure as others want to know. ;)

Ahh and I see I was lazy in typing and my spellchecker helped me not at all.

I of course meant an ellipse, which grammatically is a three period punctuation denoting information that exists but is not supplied either by deletion for space or logical continuation of a list. As an example a poster like myself is over-educated, sanctimonious, smug... <-- see what the ellipse does there is imply all the rest of what you are thinking, just without me having to say it.

It can also be used to signal while quoting material from the original source that is not shown, for instance, one of my favorite quotes from President-Elect Trump in his latest speech: "I love...B...ear...ie San...ders and I support single...payer... Health... care... now". You see with the use of our friend the ellipse, even sour dishes can be made sweet and savory!

Was forward thinking of our OP's relatives to provide a ellipse stencil, I would treasure that one, I bet it was used for the teapot dome scandal, Richard Nixon, bet there is quite a history behind that one simple cooking device and our good friend the ellipse.

TBS

Ahh and I see I was lazy in typing and my spellchecker helped me not at all.

I of course meant an ellipse, which grammatically is a three period punctuation denoting information that exists but is not supplied either by deletion for space or logical continuation of a list. As an example a poster like myself is over-educated, sanctimonious, smug... <-- see what the ellipse does there is imply all the rest of what you are thinking, just without me having to say it.

It can also be used to signal while quoting material from the original source that is not shown, for instance, one of my favorite quotes from President-Elect Trump in his latest speech: "I love...B...ear...ie San...ders and I support single...payer... Health... care... now". You see with the use of our friend the ellipse, even sour dishes can be made sweet and savory!

Was forward thinking of our OP's relatives to provide a ellipse stencil, I would treasure that one, I bet it was used for the teapot dome scandal, Richard Nixon, bet there is quite a history behind that one simple cooking device and our good friend the ellipse.

TBS

I think we know what an ellipse is. For what purpose would one need a tool to make an ellipse in this way? Your description of using it somehow to designate a half dessert portion doesn't make sense to me and seems strangely specific. I've never heard of such a thing and can't imagine needing a special tool to do that.

I must admit my semi colon and aphostrophe stencils do get more use, but an ellipse stencil is still a valuable tool for the home baker...

Efox, Don't Bogart that joint my friend. Pass it over to me. ;)

Still don't see what an "ellipse stencil" has to do with it. :(
But maybe that's just me. :wacko:

#3 seems to be a zester as dated as it is.

# 2 is some kind of pasta/pie device. Any clarification is appreciated.

# 1 is an ice shaver or decoration device. "I'm still confused." :LOL: As I always will be.

Ahh Zagut, you are seeing the utensils for what they are, not what they could be...

And yes an 'ellipse stencil' doesn't exist, but it should, how else would one in baking make ellipses? And tell me if wouldn't convenient stencil style access to a quick ellipse NOT make your baking stronger, the home cook often loses verses the corporate bakery monopoly on punctuation based baking...

TBS

I've read through this thread a couple of times now and still don't know what the heck you're talking about, eFox. :ermm::LOL:
Zagut is just looking for some helpful answers to the gadgets he found, photographed, and posted...

Last edited:
I guess I should tell Zagut that I am weird?

*sigh* I imagine Zagut wanted the 'practical' use of tools, not the whimsical and probably nonsensical.

Sorry Zagut, it is likely an ice shaver.

But it could be an ellipse stencil for punctuaiton based baking!

Best wishes,

TBS

*sigh* I imagine Zagut wanted the 'practical' use of tools, not the whimsical and probably nonsensical.

Foxy... you're not weird, LOL you just don't consider what the OP is really asking. If he had whimsical and probable nonsensical in mind I'm pretty sure he would have worded it in a completely different way :LOL: You, on the other hand, just bounce straight off into lala land. :ROFLMAO:

But to go back to all the answers which were thinking it an ice shaver, I disagree. I thought ice shavers were more razor shaped contraptions. I think it still looks like a zester. We just can't see the angle of the holes but the comparison to the dime gives me that thought.

The middle picture is sort of misleading. Are those discs round? Do they move, as in roll? Or are they oval and rigid. Round - pasta roller, rigid - sugar tongs (albeit weird sugar tongs but tongs of some sort).

What thought would you have if the dime was actually a quarter?

a very LARGE zester? :LOL:

Actually, then I would consider it could possibly be a type of ice shaver. But somehow I think of an ice shaver with 2 handle and a rounded curved blade. Something like a mandolin/meza luna.

Best wishes,

TBS

Efox, I knew you were weird. ;)

But I am also.

Perhaps more so then you but that's another thread in and of itself. :LOL:

And a ellipse stencil does exist. If you'd work with as many faux finishers as I do you'd know stencils exist for just about anything. :)

Foxy... you're not weird, LOL you just don't consider what the OP is really asking. If he had whimsical and probable nonsensical in mind I'm pretty sure he would have worded it in a completely different way :LOL: You, on the other hand, just bounce straight off into lala land.

But to go back to all the answers which were thinking it an ice shaver, I disagree. I thought ice shavers were more razor shaped contraptions. I think it still looks like a zester. We just can't see the angle of the holes but the comparison to the dime gives me that thought.

The middle picture is sort of misleading. Are those discs round? Do they move, as in roll? Or are they oval and rigid. Round - pasta roller, rigid - sugar tongs (albeit weird sugar tongs but tongs of some sort).

Nothing wrong with lala land.
I'd like to live there if I could.

I 'd like to see it as a zester or shaver but this thing has no sharp edges at all.

And yes the discs in # 2 are round and they do roll.
They are much like the single handled one posted by blissiful.
But that link was about pasta and pie.

What thought would you have if the dime was actually a quarter?

Yes it is a Quarter.:ROFLMAO:
You know inflation these days. ;)

a very LARGE zester? :LOL:

Actually, then I would consider it could possibly be a type of ice shaver. But somehow I think of an ice shaver with 2 handle and a rounded curved blade. Something like a mandolin/meza luna.

I think more along the lines of something used to decorate fruits as GG stated. This thing has no sharp edges at all.

So #3 is most likely some form of zester?

Since it was made in England perhaps someone on the other side of the pond should weigh in?

Madcook???

#2 is pasta or pies.
It's old so I hope those who know what it is haven't all kicked the bucket.

And #1 is one of those things. :(

My description of an ice shaver was totally wrong. The old ones actually looked like a wood planer.

img_1489554_0_89f8eb6c6347034eea3d975522327648.jpg

img_1489554_1_5682d832d84de342d52eec2db587fdd3.jpg

img_1489554_2_7c9799aba25906996b08ab781c60cc31.jpg

This is the one we had, but it was mounted on the wall...

img_1489554_3_8c328793f51678da9ea22763730a860e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom