"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Yes, I am an addict as well. But recently I went through the stove-side utensil crocks and the kitchen tools/gadget drawers and got rid of the things that I didn't use (and most of that was stuff that was given to me by friends who used to sell Tupperware or Pampered Chef products and they just wanted to get rid of it, too!). So, while I am still awash in kitchen tools, they are at least tools that I use!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I find Pampered Chef outrageously expensive. For example, I needed a new apple wedger when my 10 year old one finally fell apart, and I wanted one that was all stainless steel, no plastic. I am very strong, and I have a tendency to break things that are made of plastic. Pampered Chef wanted $11.50 American for one, while I found the same one on the gadget wall at Le Gourmet Chef for $2.95!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I find Pampered Chef outrageously expensive. For example, I needed a new apple wedger when my 10 year old one finally fell apart, and I wanted one that was all stainless steel, no plastic. I am very strong, and I have a tendency to break things that are made of plastic. Pampered Chef wanted $11.50 American for one, while I found the same one on the gadget wall at Le Gourmet Chef for $2.95!
I do love LGC! If you have the time to walk the aisles and look things over, you can find some real deals.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #14
Cook

I spend my lunch breaks walking around kitchen shops looking for new gadgets and products to make life easier. Bring on the kitchen gadgets! But when you do, could you bring on some more storage space while you're at it?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
I'm addicted to my wine knife!

OK, you have to buy different wines. Look for the ones that don't require cutting.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #16
Cook

Finally, a group for cooking tool addicts! Yes, I am one. Usually, I go to places such as Sears or the Bay for various tools, however, my favourite are the beloved dollar stores. Even if I already have several of something, such as a spatula, I still look at one and say I want it! Pots and pans I'm also addicted to but running out of space for them. Already have 5 drawers full of tools and 3 others full of various inserts.

As mentioned before, the dollar store is an oasis for kitchen tools. Most, or at least the ones where I live, typically lack pots and pans. Granted, they don't carry top-of-the-line tools, but they still work.

I'm one of those impulsive shoppers, where if I see it, I get it! If I see another one, well I also get it, as long as it's not a fortune. I've been wondering for a while, all those TV products for dicing, do they work? I've purchased a few cooking items from TV products and they didn't work at all. I keep them just to remember not to buy that one again.

My favourite tool to look at, or buy are knives . However, spatulas and peelers are also beautiful.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
Head Chef

My favorite tools right at this minute are my tomato shark (looks like a melon baller, but the bowl is toothed) which I use to take the stems/cores out, and my tomato press http://www.creativecookware.com/images/rg0068.JPG.

28 tomato plants--what can I say?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I hear you about the tomato shark. I have one in my work kit. However, I'm equally adept at using a paring knife to carve the core of a tomato out.

Most of the chop/dice accessories I don't mess with. I have yet to use a large amount of chopped/diced ingredients at home, where it's more practical to use such a thing, then clean it, when I can just run my knife over for a few seconds and be done with it.

Even at work, we don't have a chop/dice attachment for our 30 qt stand mixer. We do have slicing/grinding attachments, and a meat slicer, which we do use when needed. I.e., I made 1/2 gal of French Onion Soup last night, and ran 8 onion on the slicer to quickly slice them.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Since ya'll are up on gadgets, does anyone have any experience with silicone basting brushes? I need a basting brush and I've seen the regular ones that look like a paint brush and then the new silicone ones, which look like they would be easier to clean. Any recommendations?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Go for the silicone. Easier to use and easier to clean (dishwasher). No little brush hairs coming of in your food.