Anyone else addicted to kitchen tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KCAT

Assistant Cook
I am looking through my new Pampered Chef catalog, making a wish list and I come to this epiphany that I am addicted to kitchen tools. It is insane; I have at least three potato peelers already (contemplating a fourth) and I never, ever have peeled a potato! I doubt I have used even a third of all the tools and gadgets cluttering up my drawers, but it is like a drug. I need that egg separator....even though I have no idea why I would ever need to seperate an egg!

Anyone else in the same boat as me? If so, I think we need a support group. :LOL:

I am lucky....
My affliction is limited to window shopping the gadgets!
Take me to Williams Sonoma or such and I can spend an
hour examining the devices, but feel no need to own
most of them

Which is good, since my Pampered Chef spinning Implement
Holder is so full it won't spin. LOLOL!

I like my addiction..........leave me alone :ROFLMAO:

I love gadgets too but MOST of mine are used throughout the year. Pampered Chef is a favorite gadget-seeking place. I had an egg separator and finally threw it away - that is one gadget that came free with something and I will never use it. THREE potato peelers? I think I have 4 but at least I peel potatoes and at Thanksgiving and Christmas when someone says, what can I do?.......I just toss them a peeler! :LOL:

I LOVE those little glass bowls that Pampered Chef has with the white lids - they come in VERY handy for a lot of things - I SWEAR. Oh, I could go on and on but keep that support group away from me - unless of course we're all going shopping at a kitchen store! :angel:

I have two drawers full of gadgets. I do use some of them, but not all. I really ought to go through and pitch what I just don't use.

I will admit I do have four potato peelers. One at work, in my tools there, one Y-peeler (for apples and pears), and two regular peelers at home. The only reason I have two regular peelers, is that my kids tend to take one and hide it.

See that is the one thing I never have enough of! I am alway searching for my one saucepan, but oh, I have five sppons to stir it with! LOL

Love my kitchen tools. I too, enjoying visiting new ones in the stores. Sometimes a buy one to add to my collection.

My latest purchase was a Henckles Mellon Baller. It's Beautiful !!:wub:

I am adicted too, but can't say that i am in the same boat. I use all my tools regularly and activly. And wish I could buy more. there are so many cool toys out there that would make my job easier.

Yes, I am an addict as well. But recently I went through the stove-side utensil crocks and the kitchen tools/gadget drawers and got rid of the things that I didn't use (and most of that was stuff that was given to me by friends who used to sell Tupperware or Pampered Chef products and they just wanted to get rid of it, too!). So, while I am still awash in kitchen tools, they are at least tools that I use!:)

I find Pampered Chef outrageously expensive. For example, I needed a new apple wedger when my 10 year old one finally fell apart, and I wanted one that was all stainless steel, no plastic. I am very strong, and I have a tendency to break things that are made of plastic. Pampered Chef wanted $11.50 American for one, while I found the same one on the gadget wall at Le Gourmet Chef for $2.95!

Caine said:
I find Pampered Chef outrageously expensive. For example, I needed a new apple wedger when my 10 year old one finally fell apart, and I wanted one that was all stainless steel, no plastic. I am very strong, and I have a tendency to break things that are made of plastic. Pampered Chef wanted $11.50 American for one, while I found the same one on the gadget wall at Le Gourmet Chef for $2.95!

I do love LGC! If you have the time to walk the aisles and look things over, you can find some real deals.

I spend my lunch breaks walking around kitchen shops looking for new gadgets and products to make life easier. Bring on the kitchen gadgets! But when you do, could you bring on some more storage space while you're at it? :-p

Finally, a group for cooking tool addicts! Yes, I am one. Usually, I go to places such as Sears or the Bay for various tools, however, my favourite are the beloved dollar stores. Even if I already have several of something, such as a spatula, I still look at one and say I want it! Pots and pans I'm also addicted to but running out of space :( for them. Already have 5 drawers full of tools and 3 others full of various inserts.

As mentioned before, the dollar store is an oasis for kitchen tools. Most, or at least the ones where I live, typically lack pots and pans. Granted, they don't carry top-of-the-line tools, but they still work.

I'm one of those impulsive shoppers, where if I see it, I get it! If I see another one, well I also get it, as long as it's not a fortune. I've been wondering for a while, all those TV products for dicing, do they work? I've purchased a few cooking items from TV products and they didn't work at all. I keep them just to remember not to buy that one again.

My favourite tool to look at, or buy are knives :devilish: . However, spatulas and peelers are also beautiful.

I hear you about the tomato shark. I have one in my work kit. However, I'm equally adept at using a paring knife to carve the core of a tomato out.

Most of the chop/dice accessories I don't mess with. I have yet to use a large amount of chopped/diced ingredients at home, where it's more practical to use such a thing, then clean it, when I can just run my knife over for a few seconds and be done with it.

Even at work, we don't have a chop/dice attachment for our 30 qt stand mixer. We do have slicing/grinding attachments, and a meat slicer, which we do use when needed. I.e., I made 1/2 gal of French Onion Soup last night, and ran 8 onion on the slicer to quickly slice them.

Since ya'll are up on gadgets, does anyone have any experience with silicone basting brushes? I need a basting brush and I've seen the regular ones that look like a paint brush and then the new silicone ones, which look like they would be easier to clean. Any recommendations?

Go for the silicone. Easier to use and easier to clean (dishwasher). No little brush hairs coming of in your food.

Back
Top Bottom