Anyone else use a salt pig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullseye

Head Chef
saltpig.gif

Several years ago I was buying knives at PCD.com when I saw this "salt pig" and added it to my order. It was a whim, but it has become one of the few things I allow on my counter 24/7. It allows me always to have salt for a pinch or a dollop, doesn't accumulate debris, and doesn't have a lid I need to deal with when I only have one hand to spare. Does anyone else use one?

I keep my salt in a covered dish right now but when I go to my favorite kitchen store next time I'm going to get one! I LOVE those things!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE this particular style too! Just have to decide what color to get. And if anyone is thinking about dust getting into it it doesn't happen due to the contruction/design.

One of the few things you allow on your counter????? Oh dear, you wouldn't want to see my counters! lol

I keep my k salt in a shaker made for grated parm with huge holes. Like this one without the flowerrs.

tea-rose-hot-pepper.jpg

Corinne said:
Does the salt clump up in humid weather?

Much to my surprise, no. I've used kosher salt and sea salt with a similar grain to kosher, and not had a problem even in NJ's humid summers.

Just got a couple of them to give our kids for gifts. I think they are cute.

Andy M. said:
I keep my k salt in a shaker made for grated parm with huge holes. Like this one without the flowerrs.
Great idea, also. Regular shakers or mills just don't get the volume needed . . .

bullseye said:
Great idea, also. Regular shakers or mills just don't get the volume needed . . .

Thanks, I tried drilling out the holes on regular salt shakers but that didn't give me enough flow. One day I saw this in LnT and had a Eureka! moment.

I don't like keeping salt in a bowl/pig because of my concern over cross contamination.

Andy M. said:
I don't like keeping salt in a bowl/pig because of my concern over cross contamination.
I don't really think about it much anymore (it's become instinct), but I was taught to use differnet hands for different things--right hand is for seasoning, knife, pan handles; left hand is for food. I can see how your method would be safer yet, though.

I love my salt container or pig:LOL: It's a double decker with a wooden lid..When I start cooking I take it apart remove the lid and have two different salts at hand, Now, I'm thinking of getting another one as I've been given some red and some pink salt what fun.
kadesma:)

I have one. No problem with humidity or dust, but I did have a spider build a web in it once. The knob on top of mine is hollow, and apparently was just the right size for the the spider.

I do keep a spoon in mine, because seems like my hands are always wet in the kitchen, and I don't want to drip into the salt.

sparrowgrass said:
I have one. No problem with humidity or dust, but I did have a spider build a web in it once. The knob on top of mine is hollow, and apparently was just the right size for the the spider.
Now I have to go check inside the knob of mine! It's been quite a year for spiders here, and I wouldn't be surprised to find one there!:glare:

I have a salt pig for kosher, and an olive wood box with swivel lid for sel gris...got grinders for sea and jurasic orange/brown salt.

Back
Top Bottom