Apple Peeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Many moons ago Poo and his wife bought me as a gift and my request an apple peeler that clamps under the table, counter, whatever. It peeled, cored, sliced the apples very nicely. What it never did was stay still. The clamp no matter how tight you made it, just kept swinging side to side. So I stopped using it and went to doing it all by hand. It sat in the drawer for several years. So today I had a bag of apples to peel for pies. My granddaughter went apple picking with her boyfriend.

Well, today I got out the peeler and after just two apples, I remembered why I stopped using it and tossed it in the trash.

I am thinking of buying one that clamps on top of the counter by suction. I am open to all suggestions for which one to purchase. Would it be worth the money? I have the corer, slicer that was recommended by ATK. And I like it. But I still have to peel them. It is adjustable for eight, or sixteen slices. It takes out the core completely. But I would like the slices to be thinner. Like they were with the one I tossed out.

HELP! :angel:

Last edited:
Addie, fish that peeler out of the trash and try this. Get a piece of cardboard-the type they make the gift boxes you get clothes in at Christmas. Cut 2-3 rectangles and put them between the clamp and the table top. Then clamp it down tight. It should stay more steady for you.

Addie, fish that peeler out of the trash and try this. Get a piece of cardboard-the type they make the gift boxes you get clothes in at Christmas. Cut 2-3 rectangles and put them between the clamp and the table top. Then clamp it down tight. It should stay more steady for you.

Oh yeah!
My Mom did that with hers to.Worked like a charm.

The meat tenderizer that I've recently bought has a metal plate that you slide in, cups right into the side of the table.All I had to do was tighten it up.

Velcro strips might work as well Addie.

Felt pads that have one side glued will work.I use them for my dehydrator.They come in a package that has a large square piece,and various sizes of round ones.Measure and cut.The pads won't snag your blouse (Can't have you baking a pie topless:D) They can also be left in place until you need to use your apple corer again.

I'm not sold on the suction apple peeler/slicer/corer because I use it on a bread board and probably won't get good suction. I like the ones that clamp on.

I have experience with 2 different ones.

Pampered Chef (also available on Amazon)
cons
$40 more than others
Clamp needs to have a pliers to tighten it after the 'pads' wear out, so the suggestion of using cardboard is good, still needs a pliers.
pros
Longer shaft between corer and the 'fork' where you attach the apple/pear/potato, this makes a difference as you don't have to move the peeler out of the way for bigger items.

Norpro (available on Amazon)
Appears the same as the Pampered Chef one but has the shorter shaft.
cons
Short shaft, cannot do bigger items (large potato) and must move the peeler out of the way, often, to attach the item. (this takes two hands and time)
pros
Clamp is designed to tighten by hand, no need for a pliers.
$40 less.

I could not find one apple peeler/slicer/corer that had the longer shaft on Amazon except for the Pampered Chef one. $40 is a lot more money.

I just peeled/sliced/cored apples and pears--(4) 5 gallon buckets worth. If you can afford it get the longer shaft and look for a clamp that tightens by hand (not a wing nut). Depending on your budget--the less expensive model works just fine.

I have two that use the suction cup, they're indispensible when my apple tree decides to be prolific. They work fine on my Corian counter, but there can be some slippage, and I'm constantly adjusting them.

I agree with Andy, dig your clamp model out of the trash and try the cardboard.

I would give the gadget to a family member and let them struggle with it. Every time they use it they will remember and appreciate your homemade pie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I use one of these to section the apple and take one swipe with a paring knife to remove the peel from each section, if the section is too large I cut it in half. This works fine for me but I only make a small dish of apple crisp once or twice a year.

s-l225.jpg

I was going to suggest something along the lines of what Andy said. If you can get it back, I would try that!

I was thinking that too. I didn't think of cardboard. I was thinking something rubbery / anti-slip.
My thoughts as well. Something like a rubber jar opener. I have a few old bicycle inner tubes in the garage I keep for things like this. A small section ought to work.

I would give the gadget to a family member and let them struggle with it. Every time they use it they will remember and appreciate your homemade pie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I use one of these to section the apple and take one swipe with a paring knife to remove the peel from each section, if the section is too large I cut it in half. This works fine for me but I only make a small dish of apple crisp once or twice a year.

s-l225.jpg

I have one of these, only mine is adjustable for eight or sixteen slices. It also has a cover to protect the blades and your fingers. It is very difficult to use on Granny Smith apples. So Pirate has to do it then. Even when it slices 16 pieces, I find them bigger that I like for a pie. :angel:

I have the suction cup kind and it's fantastic. If I'm doing a ton of apples, I'll have to adjust it. I don't know how I lived 40 years without one, and I'll replace it if it ever breaks!

My mom knew of them, but never bought one. When we used mine, she couldn't believe how well it worked and regretted not buying one instead of peeling thousands of pounds of apples in her lifetime!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom