Are you a Bowl Freak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a sporting (football) event that takes place every January. Haha!!:LOL:

I usually don't buy those cheap no-name plastic bowls, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one around for use as a garbage bowl to save trips to the trash barrel when prepping stuff like veggies, onions, bell pepper, celery,
etc..:ermm:

~Corey123.

I'm also contemplating gettin an extra 5-qt. mixing bowl for my K'Aid K5SS Stand Mixer. That's another bowl!

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
That's a sporting (football) event that takes place every January. Haha!!:LOL:

I usually don't buy those cheap no-name plastic bowls, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one around for use as a garbage bowl to save trips to the trash barrel when prepping stuff like veggies, onions, bell pepper, celery,
etc..:ermm:

~Corey123.

For exactly the same purpose I usually use one of those plastic shopping bags that come from markets and supermarkets, which tend to accumulate themselves. I think Corey's idea is more ecologically correct, but those bags just keep on coming from everywhere without any soliciting from my part, might as well make some use of them...

Yes, that also.

It's a known fact that every time you go to a store to buy something, it gets bagged. And this is where those plastic shopping bags from the supermarkets
that tend to pile up come in handy.

Just fill them up with garbage, tie and toss! Be careful though. Some of them have holes in the bottom and could leak immensely, so don't put any liquid in them!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I'm a bowl freak in the sense that almost all of our meals ar eaten from bowls... I have large and small bowls, nice bowls and cheapy-plastic bowls, flat-bottomed bowls as large as a dinner plate for full meals. I don't know why, but I've always preffered to eat from a bowl rather than a plate. I think they are more pleasing to look at.

I have as many as I need, and don't have anyplace to reasonably store any that I don't need. I have set of 4 pyrex clear (with a decorative pattern), and a set of 3 SS. I have one 5 quart (I think?) pyrex bowl that came with the carrier and hot/cold pad for transporting stuff to pot luck suppers, etc. I also have the 6qt bowl for my KA Pro 600. I have a dozen little mise en place bowls (8 one cup and 4 quarter cup).

That has always seemed to be sufficient for my needs.... :)

college_cook said:
I'm a bowl freak in the sense that almost all of our meals ar eaten from bowls... I have large and small bowls, nice bowls and cheapy-plastic bowls, flat-bottomed bowls as large as a dinner plate for full meals. I don't know why, but I've always preffered to eat from a bowl rather than a plate. I think they are more pleasing to look at.

That's right!

I forgot that Asian people also eat rice from bowls.:chef:

~Corey123.

urmaniac13 said:
For exactly the same purpose I usually use one of those plastic shopping bags that come from markets and supermarkets, which tend to accumulate themselves. I think Corey's idea is more ecologically correct, but those bags just keep on coming from everywhere without any soliciting from my part, might as well make some use of them...

I line my cheap plastic bowl with one of those bags...it's easier to get the scraps in the bag that way.
This doesn't have anything to do with bowls, but as y'all know, I can't stand long, and have to do a lot of my work sitting downg at the counter. When I peel potatoes, I spread a newspaper out to catch the peelings, and have a bowl of acidified water nearby to drop the peeled potatoes into. When I'm finished, I just gather up the paper and toss it in the trash.

I didn't know that you can't stand up too long.

Are you having pains in your leg, sort of like sharp small pains and numbness in your thighs, then you have to sit for a few minutes for comfort? I get that from time to time.

~Corey123.

I went into CVS, was looking around in the section that sells housewares and saw sets of Sterilite white plastic bowls with blue covers.

I wasn't going to get any of those because they are cheap plastic, but something just drew me to them like a magnet, and so I ended up getting a set of them!! Just couldn't resist them!

But they only cost about $3.99 a set, so I figured that I might as well get them anyway.

~Corey123.

I have that set of bowls you often see on TV -- clear tempered class that are in about 15 sizes -- the largest must hold two or three gallons, the smallest maybe a tablespoon. Since they are so ubiquitous, I really wish that some company would come up with covers for them. I like the simple clear glass because you can use them for serving pieces even with the good china.

I never much thought of myself as having a thing for bowls, but looking around, maybe I do. I have a set of rice china for four, and of course that means a rice bowl. Then I have the every day ware which is plain white corelle. My sis bought it for us when we went on the road for 3 years. It is nice because it is very simple, very hardy, and takes up very little space. In those years of bumps not one piece broke. Then I have some china that I acquired through marriage. I believe it is from Japan. In 30 years of moving every few years only two pieces of that broke! But I have to agree that my favorite to eat out of is what we call the pasta bowls (have them both in China and Corelle) -- that shallow bowl. About once a year I make a meal called "three courses of soup". I pile three bowls on top of each other, then fill three tourines with soup and we all dig in.

Bowl/Platter Freak Champion

Although I am a Porfessional Chef by occupation I carry it to a higher level. Everytime we go out of town both in the states or overseas I find myself shopping for unique platters and bowls. My wife loves it because although I am a big sports nut I would rather buy items for our kitchen. I have purchased items from street markets in Turkey, France, etc etc. I do use them on occasion, but I never have had the chance to use all 40 or so all at once....yikes did I say 40?
Chef Mark:chef:

I was in Macy's yesterday mainly to use the mens' room because I had to go from drinking so much water.

When I came out though, I browsed around. Wasn't going to buy anything in particular there - just looking. There was a set of large melamine bowls in stepped-down sizes. I didn't buy that because I got so many large bowls at home now.

I was about to leave the store and began to head for the subway to come home. Nothing wrong with that. But then I see sitting on the display table in clear packages sets of 6 cute looking really tiny prep bowls by Tools of the Trade. Similar in size to the clear glass ones that you might see Emeril Lagasse use on his cooking show Emeril Live, except that these are melamine and in cute muti-colors.

I just couldn't resist them and had to get a set!!! It's like I'm drawn or addicted to bowls like a magnet drawn to steel!!!! I gotta stay out of those stores now. I think I got enough stuff.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I was at BBB today to pick up a computer desk lamp because the one I had, had crapped out. I got a replacement for it.

But while in the section where the kitchen gadgets are sold, I saw some clear glass Pyrex bowls in sets of three. I just couldn't resist that and ended up buying a set of them!! Just can't seem to stay away from bowls!!

~Corey123.

I DID eventually get the extra 5-qt. mixer bowl for the K'Aid K5SS Stand Mixer.

I also got the Electrolux Assistant DXL-2000 in August, which comes with two bowls!!

I thought I was the only bowl nut out there. I love all kinds. My very favorite are ones with cherries on them. I get them home and then I don't use them because I am afraid I am going to break or chip them. Where can I go for help. :wacko: I'll tell you, that when my time comes to leave this earth, my family will never have to buy another bowl.:rolleyes:

I love BIG bowls. I am a messy cook and get stuff every where, my hand held mixer and I are not a good combination, lol. I have a HUGE old ceramic bowl big enough for festive cooking that just makes me feel safe from splattering and content.

I am funny about visuals. I don't know who said "don't buy anything you don't believe to be beautiful and know to be useful" but its a good one. I have a set of newish vintage look ceramics, two ceramics with a spout...so useful, but because of penchant for big sizes heavy to lift and pour. I have a few nice glass ones. I am on the constant search for the perfect copper bowl. I am not a fan of plastic, it just doesn't make me happy and as a home cook I deserve to like what I am using. Also, often my cooking bowls double as bowls for casual service of things on the kitchen table so I like them to look nice and sensible but attractive.

When I get my pefect copper bowl I am going to make meringues everyday for a year I think.

I also truly LOVE bowls - all sizes!!

To me, with all the bowls that I now have, there is no prep job too big or small for the many sizes of bowls in the kitchen!!

Sad news. Just a little while ago I was putting one of my favorite bowls away on the top shelf when it slipped out of my hand and hit me in the face just at the rim of my glasses. Somehow it chipped one of my lens and then got me on my cheekbone. I just had a little blood on the rim of my nose. Not sure how that happened. My cheekbone is very sore. I thank God it didn't do more damage to my face. When the bowl hit the edge of the counter it broke all over the place. When some of the larger pieces landed on the floor it put dents in it.
I feel so bad about the bowl, I treasured it, it had been given to me by my best friend years ago. She died of cancer in 1994.
I know, it was only a bowl, but it was special to me.

Back
Top Bottom