"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #21
Executive Chef

That's a sporting (football) event that takes place every January. Haha!!

I usually don't buy those cheap no-name plastic bowls, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one around for use as a garbage bowl to save trips to the trash barrel when prepping stuff like veggies, onions, bell pepper, celery,
etc..

~Corey123.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I'm also contemplating gettin an extra 5-qt. mixing bowl for my K'Aid K5SS Stand Mixer. That's another bowl!

~Corey123.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
That's a sporting (football) event that takes place every January. Haha!!

I usually don't buy those cheap no-name plastic bowls, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one around for use as a garbage bowl to save trips to the trash barrel when prepping stuff like veggies, onions, bell pepper, celery,
etc..

~Corey123.
For exactly the same purpose I usually use one of those plastic shopping bags that come from markets and supermarkets, which tend to accumulate themselves. I think Corey's idea is more ecologically correct, but those bags just keep on coming from everywhere without any soliciting from my part, might as well make some use of them...
Old 06-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Yes, that also.

It's a known fact that every time you go to a store to buy something, it gets bagged. And this is where those plastic shopping bags from the supermarkets
that tend to pile up come in handy.

Just fill them up with garbage, tie and toss! Be careful though. Some of them have holes in the bottom and could leak immensely, so don't put any liquid in them!!

~Corey123.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm a bowl freak in the sense that almost all of our meals ar eaten from bowls... I have large and small bowls, nice bowls and cheapy-plastic bowls, flat-bottomed bowls as large as a dinner plate for full meals. I don't know why, but I've always preffered to eat from a bowl rather than a plate. I think they are more pleasing to look at.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:04 AM   #26
Head Chef

I have as many as I need, and don't have anyplace to reasonably store any that I don't need. I have set of 4 pyrex clear (with a decorative pattern), and a set of 3 SS. I have one 5 quart (I think?) pyrex bowl that came with the carrier and hot/cold pad for transporting stuff to pot luck suppers, etc. I also have the 6qt bowl for my KA Pro 600. I have a dozen little mise en place bowls (8 one cup and 4 quarter cup).

That has always seemed to be sufficient for my needs....
Old 06-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
I'm a bowl freak in the sense that almost all of our meals ar eaten from bowls... I have large and small bowls, nice bowls and cheapy-plastic bowls, flat-bottomed bowls as large as a dinner plate for full meals. I don't know why, but I've always preffered to eat from a bowl rather than a plate. I think they are more pleasing to look at.

That's right!

I forgot that Asian people also eat rice from bowls.

~Corey123.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
For exactly the same purpose I usually use one of those plastic shopping bags that come from markets and supermarkets, which tend to accumulate themselves. I think Corey's idea is more ecologically correct, but those bags just keep on coming from everywhere without any soliciting from my part, might as well make some use of them...
I line my cheap plastic bowl with one of those bags...it's easier to get the scraps in the bag that way.
This doesn't have anything to do with bowls, but as y'all know, I can't stand long, and have to do a lot of my work sitting downg at the counter. When I peel potatoes, I spread a newspaper out to catch the peelings, and have a bowl of acidified water nearby to drop the peeled potatoes into. When I'm finished, I just gather up the paper and toss it in the trash.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I didn't know that you can't stand up too long.

Are you having pains in your leg, sort of like sharp small pains and numbness in your thighs, then you have to sit for a few minutes for comfort? I get that from time to time.

~Corey123.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I went into CVS, was looking around in the section that sells housewares and saw sets of Sterilite white plastic bowls with blue covers.

I wasn't going to get any of those because they are cheap plastic, but something just drew me to them like a magnet, and so I ended up getting a set of them!! Just couldn't resist them!

But they only cost about $3.99 a set, so I figured that I might as well get them anyway.

~Corey123.