"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #61
Executive Chef

I like those tall glass bowls that Tyler Florence uses on his Food Network cooking show Tyler's Ultimate!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #62
Senior Cook

Who doesn't like a good mixing bowl! I came across a couple good deals as of late. The bowls on the right are nine and a half inches wide by four inches deep (about three and a quarter quarts) and was on clearance at World Goods. On the left is an eight-inch wide, almost five-inch deep bowl that I estimate holds two and a half quarts. I got them at Home Goods for five bucks, and they were invaluable aids in making lemon curd this Christmas. Both seem to be made of about 18 gauge steel, by my measurements.

The smaller bowls had a nice, polished interior that I whisked the heck out of using it as a double boiler (objects in bowl are nerdier than they appear)!

And of course, I don't have many bowls that don't also function as anti-mind control devices:

Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #63
Executive Chef

Haha!!

The bottom pic is a funny one! Never thought of using a bowl as a hat!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #64
Senior Cook

My favorites are the large copper mixing bowls. After that, it would have to be my brushed steel mixing bowl set with the rubber non-slide bottoms.

My DW once made the mistake of using the latter as a dog bowl. She told me it was an "emergency". I told her the next time she did that, there would be an emergency.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Haha!!

The bottom pic is a funny one! Never thought of using a bowl as a hat!
You'd be surprised how few hats fit my head as well as a three quart bowl...
Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #66
Sous Chef

Wooden serving bowls, glass mixing and serving bowls, 2 bowls for the N50, a couple of copper whisking bowls, and a Norpro Krona 1 1/2 qt. s.s. whisking bowl with a flared handle and hanging hole on one side that I would buy more of in larger sizes if Norpro still made 'em. Nesting s.s. mixing bowls with e-z grip bottoms. Currently looking for a copper bowl insert for the Hobart, same as a KA 5 qt. lift-bowl mixer uses. KA hasn't made them for quite some time. I may have found a way to copper-plate the inside of one of the N50 bowls safely and cheaply at home. Bowls? No, not really...
Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #67
Assistant Cook

Gadzooks

Have you seen these?
www dot frenchcopperstudio.com/kitchenaid dot html
Old 05-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #68
Sous Chef

Yes, I have. They are gorgeous...as bowls go, anyhow. More than I want to spend for it, though. I will proceed with the copper plating, first on the interior of a stainless whisking bowl, and then, if it sticks well, the interior of my second N50 bowl. Should cost the price of the bowl ($30+s&h on ebay) plus another $5 or so. Until then, I am using a 10" copper whisking bowl. It works, but it makes me work.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #69
Head Chef

I guess I am a bowl freak too, sigh.

I have all of the bowls for the mixers in my KA and Hobart mixer collection [14] plus a few extra stainless steel KA mixer bowls. Then there are the 3 KA copper bowl inserts, a copper KA mixer bowl, 2 regular copper bowls, 2 sets of pyrex spring blossom green mixing bowls, a couple of antique thick crock bowls from my mom, a set of restaurant stainless steel bowls up to 13qts, a set of 8 stainless steel washbasin bowls, my grandma's 4 antique limoges serving bowls, and a gazillion corelle spring blossom green cereal bowls.

But I swear I am not looking for more bowls!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #70
Sous Chef

there aren't any more bowls than that...