Are you a Bowl Freak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bowlsgx6.jpg

Who doesn't like a good mixing bowl! I came across a couple good deals as of late. The bowls on the right are nine and a half inches wide by four inches deep (about three and a quarter quarts) and was on clearance at World Goods. On the left is an eight-inch wide, almost five-inch deep bowl that I estimate holds two and a half quarts. I got them at Home Goods for five bucks, and they were invaluable aids in making lemon curd this Christmas. Both seem to be made of about 18 gauge steel, by my measurements.

The smaller bowls had a nice, polished interior that I whisked the heck out of using it as a double boiler (objects in bowl are nerdier than they appear)!
polishedlh1.jpg
scratchynp1.jpg

And of course, I don't have many bowls that don't also function as anti-mind control devices:
mindcontrolpj6.jpg

My favorites are the large copper mixing bowls. After that, it would have to be my brushed steel mixing bowl set with the rubber non-slide bottoms.

My DW once made the mistake of using the latter as a dog bowl. She told me it was an "emergency". I told her the next time she did that, there would be an emergency;).

Wooden serving bowls, glass mixing and serving bowls, 2 bowls for the N50, a couple of copper whisking bowls, and a Norpro Krona 1 1/2 qt. s.s. whisking bowl with a flared handle and hanging hole on one side that I would buy more of in larger sizes if Norpro still made 'em. Nesting s.s. mixing bowls with e-z grip bottoms. Currently looking for a copper bowl insert for the Hobart, same as a KA 5 qt. lift-bowl mixer uses. KA hasn't made them for quite some time. I may have found a way to copper-plate the inside of one of the N50 bowls safely and cheaply at home. Bowls? No, not really...

Yes, I have. They are gorgeous...as bowls go, anyhow. More than I want to spend for it, though. I will proceed with the copper plating, first on the interior of a stainless whisking bowl, and then, if it sticks well, the interior of my second N50 bowl. Should cost the price of the bowl ($30+s&h on ebay) plus another $5 or so. Until then, I am using a 10" copper whisking bowl. It works, but it makes me work.

I guess I am a bowl freak too, sigh.

I have all of the bowls for the mixers in my KA and Hobart mixer collection [14] plus a few extra stainless steel KA mixer bowls. Then there are the 3 KA copper bowl inserts, a copper KA mixer bowl, 2 regular copper bowls, 2 sets of pyrex spring blossom green mixing bowls, a couple of antique thick crock bowls from my mom, a set of restaurant stainless steel bowls up to 13qts, a set of 8 stainless steel washbasin bowls, my grandma's 4 antique limoges serving bowls, and a gazillion corelle spring blossom green cereal bowls.

But I swear I am not looking for more bowls!

I am grateful that I'm not alone in my "Bowl Addiction" -- I feel such comfort from all of you self-confessed Bowlaholics. I have 2 sets of the gigantic Wlm-Sonoma Pasta Bowls and also the step-down size, as well as a doz of every size prep-bowls (from a tsp to a cup), fruit bowls, soup bowls in all sizes - with and w/o handles, a dozen are w/lids, outdoor soup/salad bowls, and the beat goes on & on. I don't understand the attraction/addiction, but I have been able to stop myself (since I've run out of room). I guess I have an addictive personality, as my husband likes to say, since in addition to my bowl addiction, I find myself coveting pretty dish towels, table cloths, wine glasses, and -- I have an odd attraction to luggage (esp. tote bags). So there you have it, my true confession!

Oh yeah, I also have a set of gigantic wooden salad bowls, stainless steel bowls for mixing (from tiny to huge), as well as a set of 6 stainless bowls for my dog, and a gigantic punch bowl which sits atop my 'fridge, a set of 11 of the nesting glass mixing bowls (love them - you're right they should have covers!), and also, tons of assorted baskets which I use as "bowls" to hold fruit, onions, garlic, tomatoes, etc.

I am looking for more of these, the bowl in the foreground. Norpro Krona s.s. whisking bowl. Discontinued. Flared handle and hanging hole. This one is 1-1/2 qt. Want 2 & 3 qt. I am sure there is a pallet full of them in a warehouse somewhere, behind pallets full of everything else that was made since these went dc.
img_636603_0_56088a27cf308ac8cfc5536ddf79f16f.jpg

Recently I visited with a friend whom I hadn't seen for a year or so. She had just gotten back from 6 weeks in France, Belgium and Netherlands, where she and her husband did a lot of antiquing! She brought back a couple more bowls, as which point her husband, also a great collector but of thermometers, teased her that this was just what she needed was more bowls, at which she quipped she'd picked up the disease from me. I'm still not cured but have not more room!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom