Are you a Bowl Freak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Are You a Bowl Freak?

Are any of you a bowl freak? Are you addicted to buying bowls every time you shop for something for the kitchen? Are you drawn to them like a magnet?

Do you tend to buy a large or small mixing bowl whenever you see one at the store where you shop or browse? Do you always like to buy mixing bowls in sets?

What type of material do you like your bowls to be made from? Glass, ceramic, stainless steel or plastic (melamine)?

Do you like to buy a set of bowls all the time? When you see bowls that you think you'd like to have, do they end up in your shopping cart?

Do you feel that you just have to have a few bowls when you visit a store and just can't seem to resist them?

I have to admit that I'm a bowl freak! I bought a set of four from Chefs Catalog last summer, and another set of bowls from them earlier this year.
Then, I went right out early last fall and bought an Oxo 5-qt. plastic mixing bowl.

Then today, I just bought three Oxo stainless steel bowls to make a set, and
two more plastic ones in stepped sizes to go with the first Oxo plastic bowl.

The SS ones are completely coated with rubber on the outside The plastic ones have rubber about 1/4 the way up, both are protected against slippage.

I also have existing bowls around the house that I already own in many sizes.
SS is my prefered favorite though.

I even also got four removable aluminum bowls for the ice cream machine!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I'm a pot/pan freak, similar to a bowl freak in purchasing needs.

but as you asked about bowls, I prefer glass or ceramic. I like them opaque, like blue speckled or jadite. I think batter bowls (with pour spouts and handles) are most excellent. Must have a copper egg white bowl, and I also find a variety of wood bowls good to have on hand.

I am a pottery and glass bowl person. Seems like every time I go to a crafts faire I come home with some type of pottery or glass bowl. In fact, I probably have more bowls than I do plates. My last bowl purchase was a handblown glass bowl. It is a deep purple about 10 inches deep and 8 inches in diameter. It has a lots of little air bubbles in the glass which make a nice pattern.

Robo410 said:
I'm a pot/pan freak, similar to a bowl freak in purchasing needs.

but as you asked about bowls, I prefer glass or ceramic. I like them opaque, like blue speckled or jadite. I think batter bowls (with pour spouts and handles) are most excellent. Must have a copper egg white bowl, and I also find a variety of wood bowls good to have on hand.

I suppose it can also apply to pots as well. But I just can't seem to have enough bowls.

~Corey123.

Naww im not a bowl freak lol. I have a set of 3 glass bowls, different sizes, large, medium and small. And i have another plastic bowl. Which is extra large, i use tht when i make burgers or something, because i usually make a big batch and put them in the freezer.

Also, I'm pondering the idea of getting a 2nd bowl for my K'Aid K5SS Stand Mixer. The slightly smaller K45SS has three bowls.

~Corey123.

I definitely could be a "bowl freak". I love the shapes and colors of bowls I see, but then I think of the lone cabinet I have to store them in, and I sigh and pass.

I also love chairs--pressed oak kitchen chairs, cane bottom chairs, rocking chairs, upholstered chairs. But there is a limit, and I try to abstain.

Hmmm - I've recently been attracted to buying quite a few hand painted ceramic serving bowls, but I don't have many mixing bowls - I generally use the 2 that came with my stand mixer, plus I have a huge cheap plastic (pink!) bowl that I use for a garbage bowl (Rachael Ray's idea) when I'm preparing meals.

I have to be really careful now though - I spent all day re-arranging my kitchen just to be able to fit my few new bowls in - there just isn't room for any more stuff!!

Paint

Paint.

I know what you mean!!! I'm contemplating putting a rack between the stove and the fridge behind the spot where the portable dishwasher is kept when not in use.

So that I can utilize that space for the new bowls that I bought and some other stuff. It would have to have enough clearance though to allow both stand mixers and the food processor to have some room on the dishwasher when either one of them are being used.

I might be able to rig something up from Target or Home Depot. It would have to stand on the floor because I'm not going to bother going through the aggravation of attaching it to the wall. Too much work involved.

Yes, Rachael Ray DOES use a garbage bowl when she preps food on her show, and yes, I've also started doing that. Saves a horde of trips to the trash barrel!!

~Corey123.

Well not like I used to be. I used to collect the vintage Pyrex bowls that were solid colors or had patterns on them. I'd get them at flea markets, auctions, yard sales and people who knew I collected them picked them up at sales for me too. I am down to one set of those now (speckled brown with a blue design). I gave one of my brother my colored set of red, blue, green and yellow. He abslolutely loves them. The others I returned to the people who gave them to me or if I bought them myself then I sold them in my rummage sale.

Now I'm into pottery and crock bowls. But I'm really selective in what I acquire now so I get them myself.

Corey123 said:
Are any of you a bowl freak?

What type of material do you like your bowls to be made from? Glass, ceramic, stainless steel or plastic (melamine)?

~Corey123.

Yep,

I like glass, ceramic, stainless steel AND melamine. Lately I am particularly lusting after large ceramic, brightly painted serving bowls. But I am unlikely to purchase any, I am still in my down sizing mode.

I love all kinds of cooking equipment, but bowls are a particular favorite. I have lots of antique stoneware bowls, mostly passed down from family. Those are displayed on top of my kitchen cabinets. Then there are hand-painted ceramic bowls, spatter-ware bowls, Fiesta bowls, glass bowls, stainless steel bowls, and inexpensive plastic bowls.
I use the cheap plastic ones for trash and scrap bowls, the stainless steel for mixing bowls, and the glass ones for storing food in the fridge. I don't use serving bowls much anymore. It's usually just my husband and I, and we eat at the island and dish up from the stove.
There are some bowls that I'd love to have, but haven't been willing to give up the $$$ for them. They are handpainted in tiny patterns that look like calico, in shades of blue with red and tan accents. They're Polish, Czech...I'm not sure, but they are beautiful.

Constance said:
There are some bowls that I'd love to have, but haven't been willing to give up the $$$ for them. They are handpainted in tiny patterns that look like calico, in shades of blue with red and tan accents. They're Polish, Czech...I'm not sure, but they are beautiful.

Christmas will be here before you know it. I'd be putting a bug in Santas ear.

Yes, Beth, they are gorgeous. And they have so many shapes and patterns to choose from!
Good idea, Sizzlin...now I just have to decide which one I want. :)

Due to highly restricted storage space we have, which is already overflowing, we really can't have all sorts of different types of bowls, and also for this reason functionality is the absolute priority.

We prefer the stainless steel version, which we can use our handheld mixer/whip and other tougher tools without worrying about damaging the surface, also it reacts well to the heat adjustment if that needs to be applied while mixing. Our next favourite is pyrex, if there is a need to put it in microwave.

Back
Top Bottom