Are you a tong or fork chef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pembroke

Assistant Cook
Want to have fun in a professional kitchen? Hide a chefs tongs or carving fork. I'm a tong chef, my tongs are an extension of my hands and are invaluable during service; many chefs prefer to use a carving fork instead. Which do you prefer?

Tongs all the way for me. I don't even think I own a carving fork. OK I know I have one, but it is buried in a drawer somewhere never to see the light of day.

Tongs for cooking, but I finally got me a carving fork for carving.... been wanting one
forvever!

If you were asking me while I was still in school I would say I use my carving fork for "elegantly" twisting long pasta onto the serving plate, neatly placing objects onto a plate (using the tines as a guide), removing roasts to a carving board (by sticking the fork underneath to steady it while you use tongs to lift it), etc. We were taught to carve using a gloved hand to steady the roast - "NEVER stick anything into it before or while carving or it will disturb the juices!" :wacko: Tongs were used for everything else.

So what do I do now? I use my carving fork for carving and my tongs for everything else. :LOL:

Last edited:
Actually, I use a kitchen knife with about a 6" blade, first & foremost, as it is my "go to" multi task'er and easiest to clean...then my fork...and then my tongs if
needed....also, the knife doubles as a weapon in the event that my meal ain't
quite accepted its imminent end and has been instrumental on occasion, to further secure all rights to the kitchen and it's contents.......................BH51...

Tongs all the way. I have a fork but sometimes don't even use it for carving-I use tongs (and a knife).

The only thing I use a carving fork for is to test a baked potato for doneness.

Tongs for cooking - my hand for carving.

ummmmmmmmmm i use tongs, forks, spoons, hands and spatulas for cooking.

Back
Top Bottom