"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-12-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Head Chef

At last, easy-to-clean and hygienic BBQ & Pastry Brushes!

I bought these at IKEA and I can't recommend them highly enough! They come in a set of two: a BBQ brush and a pastry brush. (I included a regular-sized spoon in the picture for scale).

The BBQ brush is shaped like a scoop. This makes it easy to pour plenty of sauce over the food you are grilling. As the soft material is silicone, the scoop works as a brush at the same time.

The pastry brush has a slotted design and is used like a traditional brush with bristles. When you dip it into liquid, its unique design uses surface tension to hold the liquid in place. Then when you brush the food, the liquid is released and spread.

The brushes are heat-resistant and dishwasher safe.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pastry brushes 1.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	138   Click image for larger version

Name:	pastry brushes 2.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	139  

Old 06-12-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanx for the tip, Chopstix. I've been meaning to buy a pastry brush & I'll use any excuse to look at Ikea's merchandise. I have a complete set of silicone utensils & they are excellent - & ez to clean. Silly question, is the brush (bristles) made of silicone too? Thanx in advance.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hi Mish: Yes, I should have mentioned it. The slotted pastry brush is made of silicone too. So it's very soft, rubbery and pliable. I use it for greasing pans too.

I've already thrown away my traditional paintbrush-type pastry brushes. I shudder to think of all the microorganisms thriving in the bristles. (Not to mention the futile effort to clean out the brush afterwards.) That's why I used to avoid using pastry brushes and would actually just use my fingers to grease pans!

After trying these out, I went back to Ikea and bought two more sets of brushes -- one to send home to my brother who bakes and another one to keep in stock (in case I damage or lose my set.)
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Hi Chopstix.

Nice to "see" you again. (I remember we joined the forum at about the same time. Ever find the panna cotta recipe you were looking for?)

A few brushes are a good idea - thinking one for poultry, one for everything else & one for decorative purposes. Looked for Ikea's on ebay. No luck yet. I'll watch for them. Here are two that looked interesting -- particularly the 18/10 stainless (& the chef for decoration, perhaps). BTW, been meaning to treat myself to the silicone oven mitts.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ntid=140&stc=1
Old 06-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Head Chef

I just bought some silicon oven mitts today, as a matter of fact. Maybe later on I'll try them out.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Let us know how you like them Rob. Supposedly they can withstand heat up to about 500 deg & are good for barbecuing too. My mitts are looking a little sad.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks Mish! Yes I found Panna Cotta recipes and then some. Good luck with your brush search. Silicone mitts, I haven't come across those yet. I'll probably need them since I keep singeing my old pair of cottons now! It's hard enough to find oven mitts that are thick-enough to be oven-proof around these parts. Finding silicone ones would be quite a challenge.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You're welcome, Chopstix. Last time I checked there were a bunch on ebay (if you cant find them). In search, type in silicone mitts. They're not cheap but, I'm tired of replacing my frayed mitts. Silicone cookware/utensils is the next best thing to sliced bread.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Master Chef

Unfortunately the nearest Ikea is 3 hours away. But I love my silicone pot holders/trivets (took awhile to get used to them but they are so much easier to clean and safer than the old cotton once, especially once they quit putting asbestos in them!). Also great for removing stuborn jar lids. The next time I need a new muffin pan, I'm going to try the silicone. As soon as I see those brushes, I'll have them. A pet peeve is trying to clean the darned things.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the tip, Chopstix. Got myself a set of these after seeing your post, but have not tried them out yet.