Bacon Press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Is a bacon press a useful animal to have?
I am going by the lodge outlet in Georgia over the thanksgiving holiday

ok, ya got me. what is a bacon press. i'm guessing some kind of weight to keep the strips from curling?
it couldn't be a news agency about... nevermind.

I had images of bacon being ground through a press ( like a garlic press):LOL: , but your guess Buckytom seems much more logical. I cut the ends of my bacon and then press them down with a spatula while frying. Clever huh? :mrgreen:

Bucky & amber, you are right, It's used to keep bacon flat while frying it. Here's 3 that I found. I don't own one but if I did, I'd use it often.

81.jpg

grillpress_2.jpg

Last edited:
I would not pay money for one personally as it is just a weight. I am sure if you look around your house you can find plenty of other things you could use as a bacon press. Or you could cook your bacon in the oven and it won't curl at all that way.

I have a bacon press and I never have used it. My mom gave it to me because she did not want it. Next time I cook bacon I should get it out and give it a try. I wonder what else you can use a bacon press for?

Last edited:
SierraCook said:
i have a bacon press and I never have used it. My mom gave it to me because she did not want it. Next time I cook bacon I should get it out and give it a try. I wonder what else you can use a bacon press for?
Pannini sandwiches

If you are a kitchen gadget person and you can get it at the outlet for a reasonable price - I would personally say go for it. They're not heavy enough for alot of other uses but make a good base for adding weight onto (working around the handle of course). Plus, they help make killer grilled cheese if you heat it up first (along the lines of a pannini but not as flat).
: ) Joanna

You could heat it up then iron clothes with it:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :mrgreen: Just kidding, I'm sure it's a handy little gadget.

Why fry bacon at all? It come out better in the oven- it won't curl and if you bake it on a rack, the grease drips away.

BTW, I love the piggy press!:pig::LOL:

Baking Bacon

Well...
I have a 2 burner cast iron grill that I pretty much leave in the oven, and the orginal reason, was to cook bacon and other things like pizza and bisquits so on so forth.
I kept on over cooking the bacon and making it to dry. Is the secret just to watch it?

Good question ... mine NEVER turns out in the oven and even when it does, it curls. Suggestions?

yes I like my bacon presses...got two...the round one and the rectangular one. both cast iron. '

1) preheat the press for pannini type sandwiches...even grilled cheese!
2) preheat the press for pressed chicken recipes
3) great on the outdoor bbq
4) keeps dogs brats and other sausages from rolling all round and makes it easier to brown them on all sides
5) and of course keeps bacon and thin chops from curling during cooking

like any gadget you have to remember to use it...part of preparing your mise en place...but this gadget can't break, won't dull, self seasons with a few breakfasts (if you use it for bacon)

you're going by the outlet...get it!

I am down for the bacon presses, i mean what could it hurt? I have the cast iron corn cob corn bread molds, some where...

The important question is what do you do to get bacon to do right in the oven?

Lay the bacon on a rack in a cookie sheet in a single layer. put it into a 400 F oven and cook 'til done to your liking.

Back
Top Bottom