"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Bamboo Cutting Board

I bought a new cutting board to replace my old maple board. (The old board was put through the dishwasher by a well-meaning relative staying with us.) Anyway, my new board is a nice bamboo one. I really like it.

Does bamboo need to be pretreated/treated any differently than other wood boads?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Lightbulb Instructions

Did it come w/ instructions or did you buy from a specialty store WS or SLT? They could probably tell you. Bamboo is really tough, but I would still use mineral oil like I would for regular wood cutting boards.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have a bamboo board that I really like. I do you mineral oil on it, although I have heard that it is not necessary.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I bought a set of bamboo cutting boards from Costco a while back. They were very reasonable in price. They've been great but the big one is now starting to split on one side. I'm wondering if I had put mineral oil on it like I do my other wood boards, maybe it would have prevented it from splitting? The small one is still okay.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I do notice that the bamboo really does not soak up the oil like wood does. I feel like it does something, but not like a wood board.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

I highly doubt that oiling of a bamboo board would have prevented splits. Bamboo is so hard that it would barely take any oil on it self. Though materials that are even harder could be penetrated, however that doesn’t mean that the splitting could have been prevented. Most likely Costco bought a bundle of cheap boards, of a lower quality. So there is nothing you could have done to prevent the problem.

I was going to make a cutting board at one time and did some research on the woods and glues, etc. it end up being pretty teddies and pretty expensive process. I opted for buying ready made board of a good quality for the same price.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to peafactory
I'm looking to buy a cutting board. I'd like one that is about 1.5-2ft wide on either side. Don't know much about boards, but am looking to learn. I've heard a lot about boards that rest germs in the wood grains? Would love some advice on wood cutting boards vs. plastic.

Sandra Howard
http://www.peafactory.com
peafactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Well you are not going to get a definitive answer over which is better, wood or plastic. For every person that says wood is better you will have just as many saying the same about plastic.

Wood looks great and is easy on your knives. Plastic is less expensive and can go in the dishwasher (and also easy on your knives). I personally enjoy having both.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Well you are not going to get a definitive answer over which is better, wood or plastic. For every person that says wood is better you will have just as many saying the same about plastic.

Wood looks great and is easy on your knives. Plastic is less expensive and can go in the dishwasher (and also easy on your knives). I personally enjoy having both.
Cooks Illustrated did a nice article on cutting boards a month or so ago, they liked the Bamboo very well. They mention some anti-bacteria advantage to them too. Some chefs think they are not as "fast" as a good maple or hardwood board, but that sometimes doesn't matter to a home cook.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I have both. I use plastic for all meats and

wood for everything else. The plastic goes in the dishwasher. I also have the plastic cutting sheets which i really like. I put them right on the counter or over my wood board and they fit in the dishwasher also.