Bamboo Cutting Board Maintaence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giacona

Assistant Cook
I purchased a pack of Sabaither bamboo cutting boards a few weeks ago. They did not come with any care instructions, which surprised me.

The research I did said it's best to use mineral oil, so before first use I applied mineral oil to the boards.(It shined them up and made them smoothe). Now after a couple uses they are drying out. I only washed them in warm water dried them with a dish towel right away.

I am reading online that there are other oils that may be better such as cutting board tonic?

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to maintain bamboo boards and what type of oil would be best?

When I get a new board I rub it with mineral oil everyday for 1 week then monthly after that. Never let it soak in the sink and I wash juices off of it immediately after the meal. :yum:

We have two of them and do nothing special as far as care. We treat them the same way we treat the small plastic ones. My main cutting board is a base for these small inexpensive boards.
Just don't soak them in water. Clean it with soap and water and dry off.
I have never used any kind of oil on them as they seem cheap enough to toss when their life span is reached.

You can't go wrong with mineral oil.

Don't know much about bamboo except that it's hard and is a rather invasive plant.

"Other oils" is something to avoid unless you research them for yourself.

I've never found it necessary to add anything to my large bamboo cutting board, that's used as a work surface beside my sink and also for daily knife duty. It's never put away and I use soap and water, along with a diluted bleach spray on it. I use a washable rubberized mesh pad under it to keep it from moving. This one is high quality, and still looks great after many years. Contrary to popular opinion, my knives don't suffer because of it.
You may have a problem with inexpensive boards, just guessing.

Last edited:
I have 2 bamboo boards - I've had them for years and I've never oiled them or anything else. I wash them promptly after use and they live leaning against the side of the countertop microwave.

I've never found it necessary to add anything to my large bamboo cutting board, that's used as a work surface beside my sink and also for daily knife duty. It's never put away and I use soap and water, along with a diluted bleach spray on it. I use a washable rubberized mesh pad under it to keep it from moving. This one is high quality, and still looks great after many years. Contrary to popular opinion, my knives don't suffer because of it.
You may have a problem with inexpensive boards, just guessing.

+1. I've had my large board for so long, I don't remember what the wood is, but I never oil it. I keep a spray bottle of 1/3 lemon juice, 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 water as an all-purpose cleaner for my granite counters and wooden cutting boards. My large board lives on my peninsula, though.

I have a crappy wood pull out chopping board. It's 15 years old. Today I pulled it out and turned it over, it looks like new, oiled it up with mineral oil, pushed it in. That oughta do me for a number of years. I'll let everyone know in another 15 years. :)

I have a crappy wood pull out chopping board. It's 15 years old. Today I pulled it out and turned it over, it looks like new, oiled it up with mineral oil, pushed it in. That oughta do me for a number of years. I'll let everyone know in another 15 years. :)

Ha!! I had one of those once Bliss. It took me 30 years for the Realtor to tell me to turn it over before showing the house for sale. You're a quick learner. :ROFLMAO:;)

Do t use anything else but mineral oil.

Vegetable oils will go rancid and that can ruin your board

If it needs oiling use mineral oil and make sure you wipe it VERY WELL because mineral oil is a laxative ����

The board shouldn't have a sheen but when it looks really dry and cranky use some oil

I've never oiled my bamboo board ever though. My regular boar maybe once a year because I'm lazy.

I've been using my bamboo cutting boards for almost 7 years now. I used ordinary cooking oil. I don't soak them when washing, just a quick swipe with a soapy sponge, then rinse and dry.

If yours are getting dry, just oil them again.

Do t use anything else but mineral oil.

Vegetable oils will go rancid and that can ruin your board

I'll second this. Perhaps not ruin but rancid oil is not something you want to deal with in a cutting board.
Add a little wax to the mix and it won't hurt. It only adds a bit of longevity between treatments.

If it needs oiling use mineral oil and make sure you wipe it VERY WELL because mineral oil is a laxative ����

Awww.... Come on now Jennyema, Don't have them wipe off the excess. That's half the fun of using mineral oil. ;)

As I said I don't know squat about bamboo but dealing with wood boards I can say they don't do well with "Natural" oils in the long run.
Mineral oil and beeswax are your friends here.

Back
Top Bottom