"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Works for me. That's why I said smaller than the steamer. The steam will get the plate hot and travel up around the edges of the plate. I don't think it's an issue.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

also Im looking at getting this product for the steamer, take a look

Amazon.com: Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen 11-Inch Steaming Ring: Kitchen & Dining

Im wondering if anyone here has used and appreciated this? I recently burnt my aluminum pot that fit my steamer perfectly, which is fine Id rather steam with my stainless steel pot, except for the fact that steamer doesnt snug so there is water leakage. Thats why im hoping this steamer adapter is the best solution. Maybe its yours too?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanek17 View Post
wow I think thats the quickest response iv ever received on forums! I posted in 2 threads on this website and had responses on both threads within a couple minutes. so wax paper does the same thing eh? Why does anyone use parchment paper then? and im guessing you just poke your own holes in the paper and your good to go ?

Are their any health concerns using wax or parchment paper, im just considering the high steam heat running through the paper to the food.
There is no more danger from the wax on the paper with steaming than wrapping your sandwich with it. Just poke holes and you are good to go. Wax paper is a safe food product.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

and welcome to DC shanek17. You have come to a fun and very informative place.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is no more danger from the wax on the paper with steaming than wrapping your sandwich with it. Just poke holes and you are good to go. Wax paper is a safe food product.
cool, thank you. I look forward to doing more steaming soon. Iv been really enjoying steaming cabbage and broccoli. I love how soft it becomes after steaming, I could eat it everyday lol. I like to put raw olive oil on it with sea salt and its just delicious. how do you guys eat your steamed veggies?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanek17 View Post
cool, thank you. I look forward to doing more steaming soon. Iv been really enjoying steaming cabbage and broccoli. I love how soft it becomes after steaming, I could eat it everyday lol. I like to put raw olive oil on it with sea salt and its just delicious. how do you guys eat your steamed veggies?
I add some black pepper too! I just love black pepper on almost anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I miss being able to use black pepper. For years I had a great pepper mill that gave me several choices for grind. But peppere decided to become an enemy and I no longer can use it. And I miss it really bad. It used to be my favorite spice.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I miss being able to use black pepper. For years I had a great pepper mill that gave me several choices for grind. But peppere decided to become an enemy and I no longer can use it. And I miss it really bad. It used to be my favorite spice.
So sorry you can't enjoy black pepper. I hope I am always able to eat it. It really is my favorite too.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Sorry to say that over the decades I must have acquired half a dozen bamboo steamer stacking sets. I get all excited about making asian food and I 'must have' a bamboo steamer set. Then I use it a couple of times with pretty much disastrous results then I give the set away to the thrift store then a couple of years later I'll see a set at a garage sale and I 'have to have it' b/c I want to 'cook asian' again. And on and on and on it goes. Right now I don't have a set but we're going to a swap meet today and you never know what I'll find. LOL Welcome to CH.