"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bamboo Steamer?

Have you used a bamboo steamer or a similar product?

I'm doing research for a project on the bamboo steamer and/ or similar products, so I'm looking for people who have experiance with this product. I would love feed back from the most experianced users to even those who have only used it once.

Please discuss the pros/ cons of the product. Improvements you would like to see. Any other information you found interesting or you think would be of interest to me. Thank You!

I am also interested in how you store your steamer, Is it hard or easy to store? do you find it clunky? Do you wish it were more compact?

Would you like to use a bamboo steamer but you find it difficult you use because you don't have a wok?

Is it hard to handle while in use? what improvements could be made to the steamer to make it easier for you to use?

What do you like to cook in your steamer?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Head Chef

I love my new bamboo steamer. I bought an aluminum ring that lets me use it without a wok--I can set it on a saucepan.

Wouldn't change a thing about it--a time-tested design.

I cook dumplings in mine, so far.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Cook

we use bamboo steamer when we make siopao and siomai...im satisfied with our steamer too its also kinda like what sparrowgrass has...its very handy and easy to use, my aunt sent it over from the Philippines

Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

A few more questions for you guys, If you don't mind:

do you use your steamers fairly often?

do you find it hard to transfer the steamer from the wok/pot/ring? Is it very hot to touch after? How do you move it from the stove?

Do you eat directly out of the Steamer, or do you transfer the food to serving plates?

Is storage an issue when using your steamer?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyfield View Post
do you use your steamers fairly often?
I used to use mine often, but now I almost never use it.

Quote:
do you find it hard to transfer the steamer from the wok/pot/ring? Is it very hot to touch after? How do you move it from the stove?
I donot find it hard at all. I just pick it up with my bare hands. It does not get too hot to do that.

Quote:
Do you eat directly out of the Steamer, or do you transfer the food to serving plates?
I transfer the food to plates. What I steam is usually for multiple people and oftem just one part of a dish or meal.

Quote:
Is storage an issue when using your steamer?
Yes, it is a big issue which is why I hardly use mine anymore. It is put away somewhere that I have space, but that means it is not easily accessible or visible.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I used to use mine often, but now I almost never use it.
If you don't mind me asking, what has changed that make syou use it less?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I moved to a new house. In my old house I had a pot rack which freed up a lot of cabinet space. My new house does not have any place I can put a pot rack. In the new house I have two kitchens though. The bamboo steamer lives in the downstairs (almost never used) kitchen due to space. It is buried in a cabinet somewhere so I never see it to think to use it. Even finding it would take me a while as I am not sure exactly where it is. When I steam things now it is mostly veggies and I find the microwave does an excellent job there and is easier and quicker than using the bamboo steamer.

If I ever were making something that required steaming a large amount of food though then I am sure I would go through the effort of digging it out.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I've come to prefer a more capacious steel steamer that serves more functions better than the bamboo one. Can cook enough dumplings for my family which the bamboo couldn't. Just not big enough. Handles whole fish much better, steamed rice cakes as well. Also makes a good egg boiler for Easter or other times I'm cooking a bunch of eggs/potatoes.

Easy to clean-dishwasher safe. Doesn't stick as much or can be sprayed with oil for non-stick steaming without cutting papers or laying in leaves of lettuce or cabbage.

Bulkier to store
Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

If you had a steamer that stored at a relatively small size, would you use it more?

Has anyone tried using plastic or silicone steamers?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
If you had a steamer that stored at a relatively small size, would you use it more?
At this point, probably not, but I have seen silicone steamers that looked like a great idea. I would certainly give that a shot if I were going to need to do more steaming.