Bamboo Steamer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beckyfield

Assistant Cook
Have you used a bamboo steamer or a similar product?

I'm doing research for a project on the bamboo steamer and/ or similar products, so I'm looking for people who have experiance with this product. I would love feed back from the most experianced users to even those who have only used it once.

Please discuss the pros/ cons of the product. Improvements you would like to see. Any other information you found interesting or you think would be of interest to me. Thank You!

I am also interested in how you store your steamer, Is it hard or easy to store? do you find it clunky? Do you wish it were more compact?

Would you like to use a bamboo steamer but you find it difficult you use because you don't have a wok?

Is it hard to handle while in use? what improvements could be made to the steamer to make it easier for you to use?

What do you like to cook in your steamer?

I love my new bamboo steamer. I bought an aluminum ring that lets me use it without a wok--I can set it on a saucepan.

Wouldn't change a thing about it--a time-tested design.

I cook dumplings in mine, so far.

we use bamboo steamer when we make siopao and siomai...im satisfied with our steamer too its also kinda like what sparrowgrass has...its very handy and easy to use, my aunt sent it over from the Philippines

468692_fpx.tif

A few more questions for you guys, If you don't mind:

do you use your steamers fairly often?

do you find it hard to transfer the steamer from the wok/pot/ring? Is it very hot to touch after? How do you move it from the stove?

Do you eat directly out of the Steamer, or do you transfer the food to serving plates?

Is storage an issue when using your steamer?

do you use your steamers fairly often?
I used to use mine often, but now I almost never use it.

do you find it hard to transfer the steamer from the wok/pot/ring? Is it very hot to touch after? How do you move it from the stove?
I donot find it hard at all. I just pick it up with my bare hands. It does not get too hot to do that.

Do you eat directly out of the Steamer, or do you transfer the food to serving plates?
I transfer the food to plates. What I steam is usually for multiple people and oftem just one part of a dish or meal.

Is storage an issue when using your steamer?
Yes, it is a big issue which is why I hardly use mine anymore. It is put away somewhere that I have space, but that means it is not easily accessible or visible.

I moved to a new house. In my old house I had a pot rack which freed up a lot of cabinet space. My new house does not have any place I can put a pot rack. In the new house I have two kitchens though. The bamboo steamer lives in the downstairs (almost never used) kitchen due to space. It is buried in a cabinet somewhere so I never see it to think to use it. Even finding it would take me a while as I am not sure exactly where it is. When I steam things now it is mostly veggies and I find the microwave does an excellent job there and is easier and quicker than using the bamboo steamer.

If I ever were making something that required steaming a large amount of food though then I am sure I would go through the effort of digging it out.

I've come to prefer a more capacious steel steamer that serves more functions better than the bamboo one. Can cook enough dumplings for my family which the bamboo couldn't. Just not big enough. Handles whole fish much better, steamed rice cakes as well. Also makes a good egg boiler for Easter or other times I'm cooking a bunch of eggs/potatoes.

Easy to clean-dishwasher safe. Doesn't stick as much or can be sprayed with oil for non-stick steaming without cutting papers or laying in leaves of lettuce or cabbage.

Bulkier to store

If you had a steamer that stored at a relatively small size, would you use it more?

Has anyone tried using plastic or silicone steamers?

If you had a steamer that stored at a relatively small size, would you use it more?
At this point, probably not, but I have seen silicone steamers that looked like a great idea. I would certainly give that a shot if I were going to need to do more steaming.

No

Has anyone tried using plastic or silicone steamers?

No. The main attraction to me of the plastic and silicone steamers is microwave steaming, but that's problematic as the microwaves are cooking while you're "steaming" so timing and layering become problematic.

I use my bamboo steamer for veggies ( asparagus usually), also to steam tamales and dumplings.

I had a wok, but not anymore, so I now use it over my pasta pot ( fits pretty good). I use one or two levels, depending on how much im cooking.

Easy to handle, relatively durable, and easy to clean ( because my wife cleans it)

It is a little big and clunky, and takes up a decent amount of space, but nothing more than the pressure cooker, pots, pans ....

I use it several times a year.

Artichokes I prefer to use one of those cheap metal steamers that open to fit in any pot. For the artichokes, the bamboo steamer isnt deep enough to cover the artichokes, so i need a deep pot to do this. And most of my steaming per year would be the artichokes ( once a month). So, if the bamboo steamer were deeper, maybe I would use it for the artichokes too.

I steam very often. Anytime a preparation is well served by relatively low indirect heat and contact with moisture. Gotta have it for dumplings. But its a taste bud awakening tool for almost all vegetables. I have several.

I bought a perforated silicone steamer tray two or three years back. Works fine, easy to clean, but it's curiously awkward - too rigid to fold into smaller pans, too floppy to handle out of a pan when it's full of steamed food.

I've always loved my stainless steel steamer that spreads open like the petals of a lotus flower. Fits any pan. Easy to handle as long as your food's weight is balanced toward the center.

My bamboo steamers come in one large diameter and two different sizes of tray depth. I do NOT like washing/cleaning them.

I also have a dedicated electric steamer. It's a monstrously huge, mainly plastic, appliance with a timer knob (maybe close to twice the storage space of my bamboo steamers). But it is wonderfully versatile; I can steam anything in it, even grains. Con: one use = one dishwasher cycle.

And I have a steaming tray for my microwave. For the cooking time, and subsequent cleaning, of boiling ears of corn, it is a godsend of convenience.

Lastly, if you flip over a clean and dry bamboo steamer tray, it is quite a dramatic serving plate.

I would think that a steamer tray that can adjust to any diameter and and depth would be a piece of cake to design for any of today's first year engineers. Maximizing its efficiency, somehow allowing one to monitor liquid level, and other issues are probably more difficult...

I have two of the bamboo steamers. I don't like boiling water in my wok but they fit nicely over some of my other pots! They also double as drying racks for herbs throughout the summer. For storage I put three nails in the wall and hang the sections on the kitchen walls. They look pretty. Other times I have them holding onions, potatoes and squash on my counter top. I used my large one to steam kale for freezing this year. I mostly steam veggies in them. Interesting thread, thanks. Forgot to add that I use my steamers to transport appys to parties and such, cheese on one level and crackers on the other. Everything is covered until I arrive then I simply spread out the trays.

Alex, I have a 3 tier bamboo steamer and love it for veggies. I line them with wax paper, poke a few holes in it and layer the veggies and steam away. Pie plates will work too if they have room around the edges for the steam to move up! I don't care for chicken steamed, it remains white and not appealing to me visually. I also have some steamer baskets that I use in my SS pans. Steaming seems to retain the color and unless overdone will retain the nice texture. Try a couple of those steaming baskets, about $4 each. If you like it then invest in a better one!

hey everybody, this is my first post, and it looks like ill bring this thread back to life! I have been using a 2 layer bamboo steamer for awhile now and I love it. Im on amazon.com rite now and im looking at parchment paper to sit inside the steamer, that way the food wont actually touch the bamboo and will keep it clean. Iv never used parchment paper and it looks good, but I dont like the idea that it cant be reused and your constantly throwing them out.

So now im wondering about using a metal mesh insert instead. Im talking about the metal mesh you see in splatter shield/guards, im sure we've all seen these. I have already tried using a mesh splatter shield inside my bamboo steamer and it works, but its just a junky one i picked up at the dollar store and its already showing rust spots. I am hoping to find a good one somewhere, maybe stainless steel? does anyone have any ideas and where to find something like this? Im also considering using a metal sieve since its the same type of design. I also am thinking that if i used the metal mesh insert then I can only cook veggies in it, and thats fine with me, if i tried fish in there it would just drip through onto the bamboo and dirty it.

Last edited:
You can use wax paper and it is a lot cheaper than parchment paper. And you don't mind tossing it after use. You get a lot more for your money using wax paper than a parchment paper roll. For some reason my roll of wax paper never seems to run out. I think it is a magical roll. :angel:

Put the items to be steamed on a plate smaller than the steamer and you're done.

would that be effective though? I was just reading amazon reviews on parchment paper. and people were complaining that the parchment paper didnt have enough holes to allow steam to get to the food. Wouldnt a plate be a huge barrier for steam ?

You can use wax paper and it is a lot cheaper than parchment paper. And you don't mind tossing it after use. You get a lot more for your money using wax paper than a parchment paper roll. For some reason my roll of wax paper never seems to run out. I think it is a magical roll. :angel:

wow I think thats the quickest response iv ever received on forums! I posted in 2 threads on this website and had responses on both threads within a couple minutes. so wax paper does the same thing eh? Why does anyone use parchment paper then? and im guessing you just poke your own holes in the paper and your good to go ?

Are their any health concerns using wax or parchment paper, im just considering the high steam heat running through the paper to the food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom