"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Try a couple of short-handled brushes, pacanis. I find that I use those a lot more than the long ones. Silicone Basting Brush. Free Shipping. Lifetime Guarantee. Price: $8.99

You can get them for very short money - more expensive does not mean "better" in this case. IMO.

Lee
Sweet! And it's red!
You like short brushes cuz you go low and slow. Whereas I typically go high and hot Using a short brush like that would burn the hair off my knuckles

But I'm sure I'll order one Thanks for the link, Lee.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Master Chef

Wow, thanks for the info folks! I may try and get me a silicone brush... very odd looking!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I have a bristle brush that looks like a mini paint brush. It is about gone, it is cracking. I got a 3 pack of silicone ones at the grocery store small round, medium brush like and long handled. They are great!! The long handled one keeps the hair on my arm on the BBQ.

AC
Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

I treat mine like Marigene does - squirt dish liquid directly into the bristles & massage vigirously into the base & throughout. Rinse, repeat, thoroughly rinse again, & air dry for a good 48 hours.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
Head Chef

Silicone is the only thing I use any more too. I buy cheap bristle brushes at Home Depot (paint dept) for seasoning my cast iron grate on my grill... but for all other uses I have 3 silicone brushes that work great and are a snap to clean.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I've also switched over to silicone. Much easier to clean, and never a bristle in my food. I do still have one bristle brush - it's one that never touches liquid: I use it to brush out the coffee grinder I use for spices.

Do be picky about the silicone brushes. Some of them have pretty sparse bristles, and I'm told these don't pick up enough liquid.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
Executive Chef

That gunk is just grease accumulation. You could buy a grease cutter and soak them in a solution of that and water, or you could spray oven cleaner on them, let it set for awhile, and then soak them to remove all the cleaner.

They tend to pick up everything in the drawer they are stored in. If it won't drive you crazy, keep them wrapped when not in use.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I also have switched to the silicone brushes. I have 3 short ones for the house and a long one for the grill.
I'll never forget the time dh and I were in TGIF'S. I was eating a chicken quesadilla and couldn't figure out why I felt like I was chewing on fish bones. I finally realized it was from their basting brush. I talked to the mgr. and I mentioned she should get some silicone brushes. She said she was going to talk to her supplier to change over and gave us our dinner for free! lol The next time we were there she thanked me again for the suggestion.

Barb
Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
Master Chef

Ok... I think I'm gonna go look for some silicone brushes myself! Thanks all!