"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Basting Brushes

Cooking last night brought my attention to my basting brushes. I have a couple of different kinds, the cheapy straw bristle brushes, and an ecko brush that looks a bit sturdier and should be longer lived if it did not look so gunky.

My question is how do you clean your basting brushes? I usually toss mine in the dishwasher, but have found that they manage to accumulate gunk after a short period of time.

Also, do you buy basting brushes for specific purposes? What is the best basting brushes to purchase?

Thanks in advance DCers!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Sous Chef

My grandson was selling stuff for a fundraiser last year, and one of the items was a set of silicone basting brushes

I not an accomplished cook by any stretch, but they seem to work well for what I do and they clean up easily too.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm satisfied with my silicon basting brush. I only use my boar bristle brush for painting breads, wash it by hand with soap and water and hang tip down to dry.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a couple of the bristle kind and toss them in the DW brush down. The metal part gets rusty/gunky looking, but the bristles are fine. And they are very old. I also have a small silicon one with the suction bulb to draw the sauce up into it. I got it with a silicon spatula set. It sucks. Too small, flimsy, gimmicky, you name it.
Then I have a nice no-name (I just looked) silicon brush that I picked up at the local grocery store. It's over a foot long with a gooseneck shape by the brush. I love this brush. It has a very natural shape for painting sauce onto meat and the bristles are close enough together to hold a fair amount of sauce. And it's long, which works well for the grill. I'm going to look for a couple more and throw the other ones out.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I clean mine by squirting liquid dish detergent into the bristles, massaging well and then rinsing for quite awhile to make sure all the soap is out. I do have a silicone brush but don't care for it.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I got a set of three silicone brushes as a gift, and they clean up fine in the dishwasher...
Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Head Chef

I only use silicone now. When I cook competitions, if I brush hair falls out onto my entry without my seeing it, I'm disqualified. So I took a competitor friend's advice and got silicone brushes.

I never went back to bristles. The silicones work just as well and are great in the dishwasher. They are always completely clean.

Lee
Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Here it is at Amazon only mine is blue.
Hmmm, I didn't know it came in red.... I see a couple more only red in my near future (lol).
Old 11-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Head Chef

Try a couple of short-handled brushes, pacanis. I find that I use those a lot more than the long ones. Silicone Basting Brush. Free Shipping. Lifetime Guarantee. Price: $8.99 Actually, I just wanted to find a picture for you - the brush in the link is more costly than you need to pay.

You can get them for very short money - more expensive does not mean "better" in this case. IMO.

Lee
Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Master Chef

I have both , the bristles and the silicone ones.