"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Not cheap ,and I am sure there are cheaper options out there. . .search Beach Cart, or big wheel beach cart

I know when I lived on Oahu, my neighbor had a great cooler, with those big ol sand tires BUILT IN, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I will email her and see.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Here's some pics I found on the net that show the basics of building your own cart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cartg.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	11783  

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Here's some pics I found on the net that show the basics of building your own cart.
Now that is clever, Timothy!! Looks like a really fun project too!!

Tatrats picture is ideal, but pricey. Now those wheels will work!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now that is clever, Timothy!! Looks like a really fun project too!!

Tatrats picture is ideal, but pricey. Now those wheels will work!
Thanks Kayelle! I build a lot of PVC projects. This one looks like about $20-$30 USD for all but the wheels/axle setup.

Any bicycle shop worth it's sand could order the replacement parts for a Large basket type Tri-Wheel bicycle and supply the axle/wheels to attach to the PVC cart. The largest balloon tires available for the axle assembly would be what was needed. Then only 3/4 fill them with air. "Bagging" the tires is an old beach trick. You deflate the tires until they "bag out" some, and almost any car will navigate a sandy beach. It's the same with any vehicle with tires. Even a cart like this.

That part would be the most expensive, but when complete, it would be perfect for the beach!

I might slam a couple of these together and sell em on Ebay! I wonder how well they would sell? I could probably build a fine one for about $100 in parts.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Senior Cook

didnt consider building my own....looks pretty easy too.....im still going to keep my eyes open for a cooler, but i may need to consider that
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

Buy a Beach Buggy and put the cooler on there? Expensive option for a cooler I guess lol!
But at least it will work.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks Kayelle! I build a lot of PVC projects. This one looks like about $20-$30 USD for all but the wheels/axle setup.

Any bicycle shop worth it's sand could order the replacement parts for a Large basket type Tri-Wheel bicycle and supply the axle/wheels to attach to the PVC cart. The largest balloon tires available for the axle assembly would be what was needed. Then only 3/4 fill them with air. "Bagging" the tires is an old beach trick. You deflate the tires until they "bag out" some, and almost any car will navigate a sandy beach. It's the same with any vehicle with tires. Even a cart like this.

That part would be the most expensive, but when complete, it would be perfect for the beach!

I might slam a couple of these together and sell em on Ebay! I wonder how well they would sell? I could probably build a fine one for about $100 in parts.
This one at ebay looks ideal for under $150.00
MGS "Beach Buddy" Fishing & Beach Gear Cart-Only13 Lbs! | eBay

I would think you'd want more than $50.00 for your time however.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This one at ebay looks ideal for under $150.00
MGS "Beach Buddy" Fishing & Beach Gear Cart-Only13 Lbs! | eBay

I would think you'd want more than $50.00 for your time however.
That's a nice looking unit! Is it just me, or is the handle a bit high for easiest lifting? Looks like if the handle was about a foot lower, it would cause less strain on the arms and lower back.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
That's a nice looking unit! Is it just me, or is the handle a bit high for easiest lifting? Looks like if the handle was about a foot lower, it would cause less strain on the arms and lower back.
Hmmm, now that you mention it, it looks to me like the handle, or the tires are at the wrong end of the unit. I'd want to push, instead of pull it.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Back when I was young we'd carry a metal Coleman cooler with two cases of beer and ice in it, a couple bags of Doritos, a beach blanket, towel, Frisbee and large radio across the parking lot, up the hill and onto the beach and WE LIKED IT!