Beach Cooler - wheels for sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
i know this may be slightly off topic, but it's food related in the sense that lots of us like to eat and drink at the beach

does anyone know where i can buy a cooler that has large, wide wheels that will easily travel in sand? my current one has the normal small wheels, and they might as well be nonexistent because they just sink into the sand and do nothing....i see igloo makes some (from 80 - 140 qt size), but they are well over $100 each....any other options? any other style of cooler thats good for the beach?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a cooler suggestion, but I have another option. Get yourself a child's plastic snow saucer and tie a rope to it. I use one to pull heavy garbage bags of... err, "garbage", around and it might as well be on snow it pulls so easy. They make rectangular ones, too, depending on the shape of your beach cooler.

thanks, i had actually considered that and its not a bad idea....since it will also be used on surfaces besides sand, a wheeled cooler is still my preference

also, in case anyone is wondering, the igloo one i saw is this:

100 Quart All Terrain Cooler

thanks, i had actually considered that and its not a bad idea....since it will also be used on surfaces besides sand, a wheeled cooler is still my preference

also, in case anyone is wondering, the igloo one i saw is this:

100 Quart All Terrain Cooler

In my opinion, if that cooler is full of food and ice, it's going to get stuck in the sand. In order to have any chance of success, you'd need a cooler with bicycle wheels.

Andy M. said:
In my opinion, if that cooler is full of food and ice, it's going to get stuck in the sand. In order to have any chance of success, you'd need a cooler with bicycle wheels.

Or skis.

i dunno, ive seen beach carts with big wheels (link below) that seem to work pretty well....i cant be the only one with this problem, so someone must have a cooler that works in the sand, right? im also not expecting perfection - its just gotta be better than flat out dragging the cooler through the sand (dont always have someone with an extra hand to help lift)

Wheeleez® Beach Cart : Every Day Simple Products, Home & Garden

Kayelle said:
I've been a beach girl all my life, and I've yet to see a cooler with wheels that works in soft sand. We've always dragged ours on top of a Boogie Board.

Me too, Kayelle. We usually grab a handle and carry it.

i dunno, ive seen beach carts with big wheels (link below) that seem to work pretty well....i cant be the only one with this problem, so someone must have a cooler that works in the sand, right? im also not expecting perfection - its just gotta be better than flat out dragging the cooler through the sand (dont always have someone with an extra hand to help lift)

Wheeleez® Beach Cart : Every Day Simple Products, Home & Garden

Well, there are your choices: a $360 wheelbarrow with really fat tires or a snow coaster for $5.00.

...does anyone know where i can buy a cooler that has large, wide wheels that will easily travel in sand?

All of them I've seen here on the beaches are homemade. Large bicycle sand tires on a PVC frame and handle.

The only hard part of making it is the axle assembly. Bag the tires a bit and it'll roll on the top of the sand so a child could pull it.

Not cheap ,and I am sure there are cheaper options out there. . .search Beach Cart, or big wheel beach cart

wheeleez-beach-cart.jpg

I know when I lived on Oahu, my neighbor had a great cooler, with those big ol sand tires BUILT IN, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I will email her and see.

Now that is clever, Timothy!! Looks like a really fun project too!!

Tatrats picture is ideal, but pricey. Now those wheels will work!

Thanks Kayelle! I build a lot of PVC projects. This one looks like about $20-$30 USD for all but the wheels/axle setup.

Any bicycle shop worth it's sand could order the replacement parts for a Large basket type Tri-Wheel bicycle and supply the axle/wheels to attach to the PVC cart. The largest balloon tires available for the axle assembly would be what was needed. Then only 3/4 fill them with air. "Bagging" the tires is an old beach trick. You deflate the tires until they "bag out" some, and almost any car will navigate a sandy beach. It's the same with any vehicle with tires. Even a cart like this.

That part would be the most expensive, but when complete, it would be perfect for the beach!

I might slam a couple of these together and sell em on Ebay! I wonder how well they would sell? I could probably build a fine one for about $100 in parts.

didnt consider building my own....looks pretty easy too.....im still going to keep my eyes open for a cooler, but i may need to consider that

Thanks Kayelle! I build a lot of PVC projects. This one looks like about $20-$30 USD for all but the wheels/axle setup.

Any bicycle shop worth it's sand could order the replacement parts for a Large basket type Tri-Wheel bicycle and supply the axle/wheels to attach to the PVC cart. The largest balloon tires available for the axle assembly would be what was needed. Then only 3/4 fill them with air. "Bagging" the tires is an old beach trick. You deflate the tires until they "bag out" some, and almost any car will navigate a sandy beach. It's the same with any vehicle with tires. Even a cart like this.

That part would be the most expensive, but when complete, it would be perfect for the beach!

I might slam a couple of these together and sell em on Ebay! I wonder how well they would sell? I could probably build a fine one for about $100 in parts.

This one at ebay looks ideal for under $150.00
MGS "Beach Buddy" Fishing & Beach Gear Cart-Only13 Lbs! | eBay

I would think you'd want more than $50.00 for your time however.

That's a nice looking unit! Is it just me, or is the handle a bit high for easiest lifting? Looks like if the handle was about a foot lower, it would cause less strain on the arms and lower back.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, it looks to me like the handle, or the tires are at the wrong end of the unit. I'd want to push, instead of pull it. :LOL:

Back when I was young we'd carry a metal Coleman cooler with two cases of beer and ice in it, a couple bags of Doritos, a beach blanket, towel, Frisbee and large radio across the parking lot, up the hill and onto the beach and WE LIKED IT!

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom