BEST garlic crusher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's exactly my point :LOL:

But how much does one really need to be thrifty with garlic? I always have some sprouting before I use it all up, so what is tossing out a little pulp and grabbing another clove if you think you need more?

'Twas I who tosses in the pulp, sirrah. The press I have leaves very little in the way of pulp, in substance indistinguishable from the rest of the melange. It would probably be just as easy to toss it in the sink.

The results can be the same, depending on how you use the knife. I usually crush the clove with the flat side of the knife, then cut it into smaller pieces as needed. As I see it, I have more control over the result. re: the speed aspect, using it to crush is certainly faster than chopping, but then you have another tool to clean, which negates the advantage.

Yes, but you are one of those who is comfortable with a knife. I mean, some people are downright afraid when I show a chef's knife ... so much so that they actually stand back. Makes me giggle. :LOL:

Those people shouldn't be allowed to use garlic! :glare: Just kidding. :LOL: I'll never forget, though, I was in the grocery line once and the woman ahead of me was buying a head of garlic, apparently for the first time. She was fussing at the clerk about having to buy a whole head when she only needed a few cloves for her recipe. I sometimes wonder if she ever bought another one :ermm:

Ha! But those same people will pay $5 for a jar of processed chopped garlic with half the flavor. *shakes head*

I guess my only point was that the a good garlic press can be a useful tool in a busy kitchen. If I had to choose between a good knife and the press, I'd obviously want a knife.

Sometimes I go thru garlic fast, sometimes it lasts a little longer and in this case I even planted some as it was sprouting. I even, gasp, had to throw out a couple of cloves that had gone soft!
I must be slipping...

Hey All...

Mmmm yes - thank you all for your input here - I have learned a thing or two about garlic presses, for sure! Also, I must assure you I am NOT AT ALL afraid of letting garlic touch my hands, but I do get annoyed when I have to use my fingernail to scrape out the press.... and then smell it the next morning when I am brushing my teeth!

...and, I find it amusing/very cool:cool: that some of you also used the word "pokey" - Hee hee!:clap:

Like GG and Mav, I just use the flat side of my chef's knife. Give it a whack, peel it and cut it up exactly the way I want it for the recipe I am using. I've tried many many garlic presses and even bought a clever little chopper on wheels the last time I was in the states.
Product: Chef´N Garlic "Zoom" Chopper

Way too much trouble to get out and use and wash. It's cute, though.

Last edited:
Place a clove on a cutting board. Place the flat of your knife on the clove. With the heel of your palm, smash the side of the blade onto the clove. :hammer: At that point, you've released just enough oils to flavour anything well, and still be evident enough to pick out. If you need smaller chopping, start chopping with the sharp blade that which you just crushed.

I really like to use my chef's knife to chop/mince garlic, because sometimes I want different sizes of pieces, depending on the dish. Sometimes minced, sometimes chopped, sometimes just thinly sliced. I like to be able to control that...

For some reason I don't enjoy mincing, crushing garlic with a knife. It seems too sticky to me. I'm really happy with my Budum Garlic Press. My kids got it for me at WS. I always cut my cloves in half lengthwise, keep the paper on the clove and put the cut side down into the press. With the skin still attached the garlic remnants are easy to peel right off of the press.

Back
Top Bottom