"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

BEST garlic crusher?

I have one from Zyliss that has a plastic "cleaner" (that pokey thing-a-ma-jig) and the prongs haven't kept their shape and consequently the pokey dosen't pokey very well anymore! I moseyed over to Williams Sonoma, and they had (what appeared to be) a very nice crusher with a FORTY-EIGHT dollar pricetag! I will absolutely invest money in something that's well-made, but I was grouchy and just wasn't in the mood to shell out... so here I am, asking for your votes on your favorite garlic crushing implement! I look forward to your feedback..

Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Not sure down by which river your near (LOL on your location), but if you are in the USA, seek out a local Pampered Chef consultant or PM me and I can hook you up or find someone there for you to work with. It's under $20 and has a HUGE hopper for multiple or even the elephant cloves. You will likey! I know the one you have and also have one in reserve (we used to sell that too). We even carried replacement cleaning tools for awhile after we replaced with this one. Wish I had one for you.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

In a van, down by the river......
Chris Farley SNL?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Here is our most recent discussion on this subject: Looking for a good garlic press

If your only problem with your Zyliss is the cleaning tool - why not just buy a replacement cleaning tool from Zyliss for $1.50 - including shipping. Go to the Zyliss website - Replacements Parts page to find the one you need and order it online.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I got this Japanese stainless steel baby in a thrift store for 99. Haven't seen another one like it of this quality. It is sturdy enough to do fresh ginger root, and the bucket pops out to clean, but I usually just wipe the inside of the bucket with a paring knife tip and toss the stuff in the mix. The bucket is 1" deep and 1-1/8" wide. Holds plenty.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

My knife works great :)
Old 06-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Head Chef

I've become a big fan of microplane grating my garlic (& ginger & shallots...)
Very creamy!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Some good suggestions here... I like my finger tips too much to get into microplaning - unless I'm missing some technique that prevents bloody food! But thank you, everyone, for your help and advice... I think I'll stay away from Zyliss replacement parts - purchasing a "new" pokey doesn't seem to make any sense if the design/materials are (in my experience) flawed in the first place...

My apologies for not researching the thread for garlic "press" as opposed to garlic "crusher".
Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Senior Cook

On second thought, I'm just being grouchy - I just don't understand why folks don't make things well enough in the FIRST place... I guess I'll fork over a couple of bucks and get the new pokey from Zyliss. (dumb piece of plastic) **grumble**
=end of rant=
Old 06-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Some microplanes actually come with a "food holder" to save your fingertips. I keep hoping/suggesting to product development that we come out with a coarse cut one with a food holder. I'd probably never put that baby away!

I have to say I'm amazed your cleaning tool is mangled. Mine is still pretty firm after 12 years. Zyliss has been very good about replacement parts over the years, so you might wanna buy a couple of them as long as they're cheap and you have to pay shipping (which is probably more than the cost of your part).