Best way to store ground flax seeds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
A nutritionist I spoke with said that the best way to store ground flax seeds is in an airtight container in the fridge. He said he used tupperware, but a) I don't have tupperware and b) I think a class container would be easier to clean. Flax meal can leave an oily residue that erodes surfaces. I saw that happen in a coffee grinder I used to use to grind flax seeds.

Would a regular glass jar be airtight, or do I need to buy something special?

Any glass jar with a tight fitting lid will do the trick. Choose a jar that's just barely big enough to hold the flax. Less air at the top of the jar to cause problems.

Any glass jar with a tight fitting lid will do the trick. Choose a jar that's just barely big enough to hold the flax. Less air at the top of the jar to cause problems.

Thanks Andy! That's one less thing I need to buy:)

I don't use my ground flaxseed as often as I should. Mine is in a plastic container air tight and in the freezer. That seems to have worked for me so far.

I don't use my ground flaxseed as often as I should. Mine is in a plastic container air tight and in the freezer. That seems to have worked for me so far.

What brand of container is it? I'm looking at all of the containers I have to see which ones are airtight.

Fill your container with water, close the lid and dry off the outside. Then tip the container in all directions to see if water leaks out. Bet it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom