"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Boiling water the right way

Question for those of you who may be knowledgable in ultimate cooking. I am looking for the name of a tool that I provide a description for below:

As you know many recipies call for bringing the water to a boil and then putting in whatever you're cooking. However, as you put something in the boiling water the water stops boiling and you have to wait for it to come back to boil. Now, on some occasions, for ultimate cooking that is not acceptable.

Allegedly there is a tool that looks like a hammer or a mace, most likely made of copper or another highly heat conductive material. That copper mace gets heated up beforehand to a very high temperature. Now, the technique is to place that super hot mace in the water at the same time as you are putting in the edibles. The mace adds abundance of heat to compensate for the loss of heat by the edibles, and thus not interrupting the beautiful process of boiling.

Question: What is the name of that tool?

Old 12-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I don't specifically know the name of the tool for that use, but I know you can use what the French call a Salamander to do what you want. The original Salamander was a thick disc of iron (steel) welded to a rod. You heated the disc until it was red hot and you held it over whatever you were going to caramelize, such as the sugar topping of creme brulee. I've seen people use this same tool to plunge into water.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm curious to know what you are making in which it is unacceptable to wait for the water to return to a boil??

By the way, WELCOME to the board!

In addition to Psiguyy's brilliance, I know there are electric pots dedicated to this quandry that will heat the water to the boiling point and keep it there! (And they are cheap, too.)
Old 12-18-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Audeo, Julia Child did this when she boiled green beans. She said bringing the pot back to a boil keeps the beans green.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:32 AM   #5

Hate to sound "too Canadian" here. but couldn't you just use an electric kettle to achieve this (given the volume of water was not that extreme?)

Bring the kettle to a boil, then "over boil it" so its throwing steam like mad, and add it and your ingrdient to a pre-heated pot?

Wow, though! Terribly fussy recipe!

Lifter
Old 12-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure, but I think you might be talking about an immersion heater. We used to use them in summer camp to heat water to make soup. I think they also use them in prison.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
Audeo, Julia Child did this when she boiled green beans. She said bringing the pot back to a boil keeps the beans green.
Ahhh. Thank you, grasshopper! I didn't know that, and appreciate the info!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #8

This is curious....I can see a couple ways to try to achieve what Ultimate Boiling is trying to achieve...

First, you could use syomething like a pressure cooker to "superheat" the water, and do the physics calculation of adding whatever mass/volume at whatever temperature, that you could stay at or above 212 F once you added the food to be boiled...

But the method you are describing is somewhat similar to "stone Age Cooking" as described best by Jean Auel in the "Cave Bear" series, where you super heat stones and add them to the water of your pot to achieve, or maintain, or preserve the "boil"...nowadays, perhaps a stainless steel fire brick from the BBQ? (held for this precise purpose, of course!) heated on the burners or in the oven, and dropped (carefully!) in to the pot?

I've worked with immersion heaters (in The Army!) and doubt that you would be able to get the necessary "control" with it/them...

But maybe someone's come up with a new technology for the idea?

Lifter
Old 12-20-2004, 03:48 AM   #9
Sous Chef

One solution is just to use a larger amount of water in a bigger pot, this way the temperature drop would not be as severe and will return to the boil (or stay boiling) quicker.

I just normally use iced water to help vegetables that I blanch in boiling water retain their colour.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:44 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Haggis, ice bath works, but the point Julia made was the beans not only retained their color, but did so without having to be plunged into cold water. So, you could have vibrant green HOT beans instead of green cold beans.

I'm guessing here, but it could also result in a healthier bean. I wonder if shorter cooking times results in better nutritional value.

I know my mother's secret to making the best jams and jellies was to cook it as fast as possible without burning the bottom. She claimed it preserved the flavor better. I wonder if the same applies to cooking veggies?