Browning on stainless steel saucepan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I've been loving my new Calphalon stainless steel saucepan, but I've noticed that part of the outside has developed a slightly brownish tint. Is that normal? I hope I haven't ruined the pan. Is there anything I can do about it?

I've been loving my new Calphalon stainless steel saucepan, but I've noticed that part of the outside has developed a slightly brownish tint. Is that normal? I hope I haven't ruined the pan. Is there anything I can do about it?

BKF (Barkeepers Friend) and elbow grease.

Thank you so much!! I just tried it and it worked!

What causes pans to brown like that?

Most commonly it's small amounts of oil that get spilled on the bottom of the pan. This burns at high temperatures - this is usually very dark. At lower temperatures, oil polymerizes and turns the lighter brown color I think you're describing. It's similar to the seasoning on a cast iron pan. Oil also evaporates and can turn to a sort-of mist at high temperatures and can deposit on the bottom of the pan or around your stove.

Most commonly it's small amounts of oil that get spilled on the bottom of the pan. This burns at high temperatures - this is usually very dark. At lower temperatures, oil polymerizes and turns the lighter brown color I think you're describing. It's similar to the seasoning on a cast iron pan. Oil also evaporates and can turn to a sort-of mist at high temperatures and can deposit on the bottom of the pan or around your stove.

Good to know! The tan discoloration was on the outside of the pan, and I didn’t use any oil. I've been using it for boiling eggs. Could it be a heat issue? The gas went off in my building and I've been using a Salton electric burner on medium heat.

Good to know! The tan discoloration was on the outside of the pan, and I didn’t use any oil. I've been using it for boiling eggs. Could it be a heat issue? The gas went off in my building and I've been using a Salton electric burner on medium heat.

It's a deposit of some kind. A brown film as you described usually indicates some kind of fat (oil, butter, lard) was baked onto the surface. It often happens when a pan is in the oven as vaporized fat settles on the pan and the oven heat bakes it on, similar to how you season a cast iron skillet. It can also happen when you pan fry meat/poultry/fish.

It's a deposit of some kind. A brown film as you described usually indicates some kind of fat (oil, butter, lard) was baked onto the surface. It often happens when a pan is in the oven as vaporized fat settles on the pan and the oven heat bakes it on, similar to how you season a cast iron skillet. It can also happen when you pan fry meat/poultry/fish.

I see. So there could have been some oil on the burner that vaporized and settled on the outside of the pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Everyone goes nuts over Barkeeper's Friend, but I have found that Bon Ami, which is also less abrasive, seems to clean a lot better without scratching.

Everyone goes nuts over Barkeeper's Friend, but I have found that Bon Ami, which is also less abrasive, seems to clean a lot better without scratching.

I have both. BKF seems to be better at removing stubborn stains on pans. I use Bon Ami mostly on my ceramic sink, tea kettle, and other ceramic cookware.

I see. So there could have been some oil on the burner that vaporized and settled on the outside of the pan?

yes, that's pretty likely. I don't think there's any way to avoid it unless you keep every part of your kitchen surgery clean. But like others have said, it just requires a little elbow grease to get rid of, and it doesn't really harm anything if you don't mind it.

I spend a lot less time cleaning the outsides of pans. The insides, on the other hand, are perfectly clean.

yes, that's pretty likely. I don't think there's any way to avoid it unless you keep every part of your kitchen surgery clean. But like others have said, it just requires a little elbow grease to get rid of, and it doesn't really harm anything if you don't mind it.

Yeah keeping it surgery clean would be very difficult.

Does anyone know how to clean the coils of a portable electric burner? They are not removable on the Salton model I have.

Personally I like an aged look on my pots and pans. It makes them look like the tools they are rather than works of art. My SS cookware is fairly new and doesn't have that aged look yet but it will come...

I spend a lot less time cleaning the outsides of pans. The insides, on the other hand, are perfectly clean.

Same here. I don't cook my food on the outside, and I am not entering it is a cleansing contest, so who cares. As long as I keep the inside as clean as possible, that is all that matters. I have one restaurant style sauté pan that looks like it was used in one.

I think today's cooks are judging themselves too much by the food shows on TV. They always cook with pans that look like they just came out of the carton. But they have dishwashers that are commercial restaurant strength. I don't even have a dishwasher, and I think I keep the inside of my pans extremely clean. And that is with severe arthritic hands. :angel:

Personally I like an aged look on my pots and pans. It makes them look like the tools they are rather than works of art. My SS cookware is fairly new and doesn't have that aged look yet but it will come...

Yes to both. You can tell that my cookware is used for cooking, not to impress guests with my my cleaning compulsion, which is a good thing because I don't have one. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom