Butter Bell Crocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digigirl

Cook
Has anyone tried one of those Butter Bell Crocks that supposedly keep your butter fresh without refrigeration? I like the idea, but I'm concerned about how well it works.

I have a crock I purchased from QVC. It has three parts - a bottom in which tap water is placed, then another inserted in this one which just touches the water, and in this one the butter cube is placed, and it has a lid. IT is marvelous. The butter is spreadable in winter and does not melt in summer. I absolutely love it. I am wishing now I had ordered two of them so there was one for cream cheese or some other spreads you have to leave out of the fridge for a while in order to spread. Is this type I described what you are inquiring about. I do nto remember what they called it.

Yep, that's the thing, exactly. I'm glad to hear it really works! Can you really use it for cream cheese, too? Wow, that would be so cool. I'm putting a couple of these on my wish list right now!

digigirl said:
Yep, that's the thing, exactly. I'm glad to hear it really works! Can you really use it for cream cheese, too? Wow, that would be so cool. I'm putting a couple of these on my wish list right now!

THe cream cheese is my idea, I have not heard them claim anything but butter. BTW it works when taking to a picnic when it is warm, just add a little ice to the bottom. IT really helps.

Now, I think I know what that thing is that my daughter got me for Christmas. :rolleyes: I knew it was some kind of a butter dish but didn't hav a clue on how it was supposed to work.

It's two pieces. The bottom is just a square ceramic bowl. The top has a, for lack of a better term, "BELL" that is part of the top that extends down from the cover.

It isn't large enough to hold much butter, maybe a cube.
I put butter in it and it all ran out and was all over the bowl.

I bet I'm supposed to put water or ice in the bottom:mrgreen:

I'm going to try it with water. I normally leave my butter on the counter all the time any way. I HATE :mad: HARD BUTTER!

Charlie

EDIT:
I just GOOGLED "Butter Bell Crock". That's what I have and you do put water in the bottom. :chef:

Last edited:
Hate to crash the party but I bought one of those....yes the butter stays spreadable but after a few days I noticed a sour smell in the kitchen....and traced it to that bell thingy....ugh!

Maybe I did something wrong!

lindatooo said:
Hate to crash the party but I bought one of those....yes the butter stays spreadable but after a few days I noticed a sour smell in the kitchen....and traced it to that bell thingy....ugh!

Maybe I did something wrong!

lindatooo --
Perhaps you got some milk in with the butter or water:excl:

Like I said, I normally keep my butter out all the time in one of the little Tupper Ware covered dishes. I have never noticed a odor of any kind.
I loaded up my "Bell" today but am hesitant about putting the water in it. Maybe if it gets hot this summer I'll try the water.

I don't think the "Bell" wil last long in my kitchen. The one I have don't hold much butter. I use butter like Julia Childs:LOL:

Charlie

Hungry said:
lindatooo --
Perhaps you got some milk in with the butter or water:excl:

Like I said, I normally keep my butter out all the time in one of the little Tupper Ware covered dishes. I have never noticed a odor of any kind.
I loaded up my "Bell" today but am hesitant about putting the water in it. Maybe if it gets hot this summer I'll try the water.

I don't think the "Bell" wil last long in my kitchen. The one I have don't hold much butter. I use butter like Julia Childs:LOL:

Charlie

I never have a problem with my butter keeper and it is out all the time. I do change the water every few days but it has never been stale or had any odor and I have had mine for nearly 5 years. It is porcelin not plastic. According to the instructions that came with mine, it is a must to have the water in the bottom bowl, that is what keeps the butter fresh and spreadable. In the summer if it is warm I merely add some ice to the water.

Norg, you just talked me into trying this butter keeper. .I just ordered one from QVC. I like the idea of keeping cream cheese in it. Mahalo.

wasabi said:
Norg, you just talked me into trying this butter keeper. .I just ordered one from QVC. I like the idea of keeping cream cheese in it. Mahalo.

Which one did you get? I got two of the blue decorated ones.

Hungry - you have to put cold water in it in order for it to work right. I changed my water every other day. I just use the water that comes out of my refrigerator.

What's really good is to get some European butter and put in it - now that's a real treat!!!

Yes, elf --

I got mine up and running now with refrigerator water. Like I said, I don't know how it will last. Mine only holds about one stick of butter.

Wasabi -- You said you got yours on QVC. How big is it? Rather, how much butter will it hold? Will it hold a regular tub of cream cheese?

( I use both butter and pineapple cream cheese on my begal):rolleyes:

Charlie

I have one and it's great. I change the water every few days, using filtered chilled water, and if I'm going away for a few days or more, pop the whole thing in the fridge. I really like it and have had no problem.

Me too, Robo -
the instructions say to change it with filtered drinking water every 3 days, so I do it every 2 to be on the safe side. I got mine from Marshall's for $10, but I've seen the exact one in our village's kitchen shop for $26.

yup, got mine at marshall's too. have bought many to give as gifts, always appreciated so far. (and cheaper than some wines)

Funny how much life has changed. When I was a kid (in the sixties) Mom only put butter/margarine in the fridge during hot weather. It was always out on the counter, without benefit of any kind of keeper besides a butter dish/cover. Of course we were what would now be considered a large family (I have 3 sibs), and it usually was margarine, and didn't last long (never went bad, we ate it!). I, of course, keep mine inthe fridge, be it butter or margarine, and have to remind myself to take out the butter an hour or three before a dinner so that you can actually spread it on your bread!!

:) Yep!You need to change water often and I think use up all original butter then clean bell and start all over again.

I just thought of something, it also keeps the cat from enjoying your butter when left on counter.

Last edited:
I also read on another thread that it will spoil if you use butter with no salt in it. I use mine with salted butter and change the water every couple of days.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom