"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Cook

Butter Bell Crocks

Has anyone tried one of those Butter Bell Crocks that supposedly keep your butter fresh without refrigeration? I like the idea, but I'm concerned about how well it works.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Certified Executive Chef

I have a crock I purchased from QVC. It has three parts - a bottom in which tap water is placed, then another inserted in this one which just touches the water, and in this one the butter cube is placed, and it has a lid. IT is marvelous. The butter is spreadable in winter and does not melt in summer. I absolutely love it. I am wishing now I had ordered two of them so there was one for cream cheese or some other spreads you have to leave out of the fridge for a while in order to spread. Is this type I described what you are inquiring about. I do nto remember what they called it.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Cook

Yep, that's the thing, exactly. I'm glad to hear it really works! Can you really use it for cream cheese, too? Wow, that would be so cool. I'm putting a couple of these on my wish list right now!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigirl
Yep, that's the thing, exactly. I'm glad to hear it really works! Can you really use it for cream cheese, too? Wow, that would be so cool. I'm putting a couple of these on my wish list right now!
THe cream cheese is my idea, I have not heard them claim anything but butter. BTW it works when taking to a picnic when it is warm, just add a little ice to the bottom. IT really helps.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Now, I think I know what that thing is that my daughter got me for Christmas. I knew it was some kind of a butter dish but didn't hav a clue on how it was supposed to work.

It's two pieces. The bottom is just a square ceramic bowl. The top has a, for lack of a better term, "BELL" that is part of the top that extends down from the cover.

It isn't large enough to hold much butter, maybe a cube.
I put butter in it and it all ran out and was all over the bowl.

I bet I'm supposed to put water or ice in the bottom

I'm going to try it with water. I normally leave my butter on the counter all the time any way. I HATE HARD BUTTER!

Charlie

EDIT:
I just GOOGLED "Butter Bell Crock". That's what I have and you do put water in the bottom.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

Hate to crash the party but I bought one of those....yes the butter stays spreadable but after a few days I noticed a sour smell in the kitchen....and traced it to that bell thingy....ugh!

Maybe I did something wrong!

Old 03-30-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo
Hate to crash the party but I bought one of those....yes the butter stays spreadable but after a few days I noticed a sour smell in the kitchen....and traced it to that bell thingy....ugh!

Maybe I did something wrong!

lindatooo --
Perhaps you got some milk in with the butter or water

Like I said, I normally keep my butter out all the time in one of the little Tupper Ware covered dishes. I have never noticed a odor of any kind.
I loaded up my "Bell" today but am hesitant about putting the water in it. Maybe if it gets hot this summer I'll try the water.

I don't think the "Bell" wil last long in my kitchen. The one I have don't hold much butter. I use butter like Julia Childs

Charlie
Old 03-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry
lindatooo --
Perhaps you got some milk in with the butter or water

Like I said, I normally keep my butter out all the time in one of the little Tupper Ware covered dishes. I have never noticed a odor of any kind.
I loaded up my "Bell" today but am hesitant about putting the water in it. Maybe if it gets hot this summer I'll try the water.

I don't think the "Bell" wil last long in my kitchen. The one I have don't hold much butter. I use butter like Julia Childs

Charlie
I never have a problem with my butter keeper and it is out all the time. I do change the water every few days but it has never been stale or had any odor and I have had mine for nearly 5 years. It is porcelin not plastic. According to the instructions that came with mine, it is a must to have the water in the bottom bowl, that is what keeps the butter fresh and spreadable. In the summer if it is warm I merely add some ice to the water.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Norg, you just talked me into trying this butter keeper. .I just ordered one from QVC. I like the idea of keeping cream cheese in it. Mahalo.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Norg, you just talked me into trying this butter keeper. .I just ordered one from QVC. I like the idea of keeping cream cheese in it. Mahalo.
Which one did you get? I got two of the blue decorated ones.