"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Butter storage?

Does anyone have first hand experience with a butter bell or recommendations? How long does it keep butter fesh and more importantly, how hard is it to clean?

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Master Chef
My mom has one and loves it. They claim it will keep butter fresh for 30 days but one stick never lasts that long on her table so I don't know if it would or not. As for cleaning, it's no harder than a greasy teacup. Assuming this is what you are talking about:

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have always kept my butter in the fridge. so did my mom, and all my aunts, who lived on farms.

Last month I visited a close friend who lives in Mexico city, and she keeps her butter in a china butter dish, out on the counter. It doesn't spoil.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Mr. Greenjeans
We rent a warehouse. It's right next to our cheese castle.
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef
My butter sets out on the counter in a covered butter dish. A 1/4 lb. stick seldom lasts more than 4 days, but it has lasted for more than two weeks once while I was gone.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Head Chef
I use a butter bell too and love it. Mine never lasts for more than a couple of days but it sure is nice to have soft butter whenever you want. Just make sure to keep plenty of fresh water in it.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
I'm actually not really concerned about butter spoiling - it's never around long enough. The real issue here is that the stick of butter on the rectangular dish gets smashed and smeared around by 'unnamed others' in my house and it frankly looks unappealing. I figured having the butter already smooshed into the crock might solve my grievance...
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
A few years ago I bought a little crock of Stilton around Christmas time. It's about 5 inches high and three across with a crockery lid, in a cobalt blue. After the yummy Stilton was gone I converted it (washed and dried) to a butter crock. I leave it on the counter without any problems. I can keep adding for a couple of weeks before I have to let it run empty and wash it. It works great and my butter loving cats can't get the lid off. I think any little covered crock would work just as well.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
Butter Care

Just keep your butter refrigerated so that it's always nice to look at....nice to look at the more we love to eat without any jerky feelings.....
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Senior Cook
I love my butter bell too. It really does keep the butter soft enough to spread. If you change the water every few days, the butter can last for 2-3 weeks. When empty, I just pop it in the dishwasher.

"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote