Can anyone give me advice on kitchen equipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobynOC

Assistant Cook
I am 16 and I have always had an interest in cooking. I have cooked meals and things before and have done a lot of baking. The problem is I have very, very basic kitchen tools.
Can anyone tell me the things I need, the things that are handy and things that are good investments.
If anyone could help I would bevery grateful as I'm looking to start cooking properly every meal for my family. I'm so passionate about cooking and really want a well equipped kitchen.

Thanks

Robyn :chef: x

Some of what you are asking is dependent on what and how you cook.

You should have a few good quality knives. You don't need a set, three basic knives will do. A chef's knife, a paring knife, a serrated bread knife. along with a steel to keep the edges in good condition.

A few pots and pans: A skillet 10" to 12" in diameter, a couple of sauce pans of different sizes. Again by a few good quality items rather than a less expensive set.

A couple of wood or plastic cutting boards.

You don't need a lot of gadgets. The stuff you see on TV ads is essentially junk and doesn't work.

Pick up things as you go. You don't have to start with a fully stocked kitchen.

Last edited:
Welcome Robyn, are you planning on cooking or cooking and baking?

Lets start with the basics, different sized pots, couple of frying pans, good knives (worth the money you may have to spend), utensils like lifters, tongs, ladles etc.

Baking requires other stuff, I couldn't get along without my food processor/mixer. I use it for a lot, but mostly in baking. You will find most people like the KitchenAid stuff. Cruise through the site and you will see tons of threads referring to it.

A pastry blender

pr-Cooking_Tools-Robinson_Knife_Pyrex_Professional_Pastry_Blender-resized200.jpg

You dont neeeeed one...
but it beats using a fork :D

The pastry blender is an excellent tool...I wouldn't be without one. If you're into making pies and cookies, you'll need a rolling pin, of course, and I recommend a cotton mitt for your rolling pin and a canvas pastry cloth to go with. You flour the mitt and the cloth, and it makes rolling dough so much easier! To store, just wrap the cloth around the rolling pin and store in a plastic bread sack. You only want to wash it once in a great while.
You'll find these available on line at one of the baking sites.

Add a meat thermometer to your list...I learned to cook without one, but a thermometer would have saved a lot of my mistakes.

In regard to the pots and pans, I would add a Dutch oven and a stock-pot to Andy's list. You also need a colander. I lost a lot of pasta down the kitchen sink before I finally got one.

You dont need the mitt though
You can just flour the rolling pin

Remember he's 16
He might not have alot of money to spend on things like that.
For now.

It's an easy mistake, especially in the whirl of many, many, many, postings that you've made since you joined.

To add to what others have already listed:

If you can afford it I highly recommend a Kitchen Aid Mixer. I research before I bought and found that the older model Hobart Kitchen Aid is a better product. I found mine on Ebay and it was either never used or used only a couple times I can't remember. I love it! There's a post regarding this somewhere.

I 2nd the Food Processer.....I have a Cuisinart. Its an older version that I found at a Garage Sale and the elderly woman hardly used it.

I have a blender but I seem to only use it for drinks.

As far as gadgets.....this one I do recommend:
A Microplane........these are wonderful for grating garlic and citrus peels.

If your finances are limited check out your garage sale, local thrift and resale stores. Its amazing what people get rid of. I love it when people get gifts they never used and get rid of it......I have many treasures that I've gotten this way. Many were never used or used only a few times.........saved me lots of money.

Last edited:
Ishbel said:
It's an easy mistake, especially in the whirl of many, many, many, postings that you've made since you joined.

Are you trying to make me look bad?
Or your just saying i've posted alot?

Robyn,
As others have said "Buy quality" especially in your knives and pans. With the holidays coming up the stores like Marshalls and TJ MAXX start to carry a number of Calphalon One pans that are well below half price. I averaged about $30.00 per pan and was finally able to build the set I needed. Same with knives. Watch on Ebay you can find some nice sets for decent prices. It takes some time and money but you will be much happier in the long run with quality items that last for years. Good LucK

ouch
:P
ur harsh
that hurts me
...where...where ever that black heart of mine is located

Avoid buying "sets" of knives, pots, etc- you'll do better just buying the specific item you really need. Do consider lodge Cast Iron for a fry pan choice. Most major manufacturers do have outlet stores, and also have at least one item at reduced price per season. Manufacturers of pots and pans like all clad will make 3 levels of product-homeowner, midrange and pro chef, the mid level product is usually the best value per $ spent. Do not buy used non stick items that are peeling. Talk to the hoime ec teacher at your school for advice.

You have been given great advice above.

To me the most important item is a good knife, a chef knife.

There are a lot of them out there, and will not recommend any. You have to do your research and figure out which is best for you.

But all of them stink once they get dull. You have to learn to sharpen a knife and keep it that way.

And a paring knife.

Have seen people cook the best meals in the worst utensils.

Escoffier never had a Kitchen Aid and Careme never heard of Calphalon.

Good pots and pans, and am not pushing any product, can be great. But give a good cook a source of food and a heat source and he or she will come up with something great.

I guess I am trying to say that the pot does not make the chef.

Great to hear you love cooking, we need some young blood here.

Folks am only speaking for myself. Am kicking and screaming as I wend my weary way into old fogey land. And I think having some younger approaches here are jsut great.

In any event have to go and off some lobsters.

Gave them their last meals, some small cigarettes, tied on the blind folds and now, unless the governor steps at the last minute, they will be dinner.

You might want to go to the library and look at some of the basic cook books, like Joy of Cooking, Good Housekeeping or Betty Crocker. They all have a section on what is need to up a new kitchen. Use this as a base, then apply all of the very good advice you will find here to it. Then you will be on your way to setting up a kitchen to your liking. You will find everyone has " could not live with out " items. You then must decide what is realy important to you, and what you can afford. Good Luck

Robyn, I agree with auntdot. I think the cook and the qualtiy of the food are more important than what items you have in your kitchen. Some things will make cooking/baking easier but your love of cooking is something you can't buy. Have fun! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom