"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I Googled "cast aluminum tool with wood handle" (and many permutations of that phrase) in images. Saw nothing remotely like it.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with cooking either.

Because of the rounded parts from bottom to sides, someone else suggested it looks like it should be a ..... arghhhh .... the thingy you use to push the window screens into the tight channel with the rubber tubing on top.
But this would be a double groove/channel. And the centre piece, although not really sharp per se, would probably cut screening.

The handle really suggest being hand held. If it was to be inserted into a hole it would probably not be tooled and smoothed like that. It was made for hands.
Nah. You push the screen into the spline with a wheel thingy. Done that enough times.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #93
Head Chef

Yeah Addie, I know, I have one of those wheel things for screens that sits on the window sill next to the patio door. I use it almost every day. (darn dogs)

So I didn't really mean for screens but maybe some sort of heavier material? Vinyl, carpeting? It certainly looks like it could press against something and the smoothness suggests dragging.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #94
Assistant Cook

Just to clarify its definitely not antique
we believe she had it in the last few years.
Here's the response I got from an email I sent a few weeks ago:

Thank you for your email. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I've been emailing your pictures around the team to see if anyone had any ideas. Unfortunately, no one was able to identify the mystery tool! We were thinking it might be worth taking it in to antiques shops/auctions to see if there are any experts there who might have an idea?

We are very sorry we could not be of more help on this occasion and hope that you manage to get to the bottom of the mystery!

With best wishes,
Steffi

Steffi Dellner

Cookery Assistant
BBC Good Food Magazine

I think another step will be to mail to various experts, maybe it should have a cash prize!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #95
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Well, her name IS Mad Cook, after all. [Ducking and running.]

But I think that Step is the OP on this thread, so that makes two people? And did Mad Cook actually say she had a tool just like the OP has?
She said she had one that looked alot like it. She was having computer problems and was unable to take a picture of it at the time.

I still say since the 2 people who have one are from England, it might be something only available in England.

Where is Harry when we need him? He might know.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #96
Head Chef

I've looked under BeeKeeper's Tools and Vintage Farm Tools. (I don't think our mystery tool is vintage, or at least it doesn't look like it is.) No go, so far.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #97
Head Chef

Another wild guess------ if she gardened at all perhaps a tool for indenting soil between rows for the sowing of seeds?

Told you it was a wild guess! Shooting myself down---- why would the middle tine have to be sharper? And the rows would be close to each other.

Oh, well---- at least I tried.

Still fixated on why the outer two tines are dull and the middle one is sharper. Still thinking about leatherworking------ the middle tine would incise the leather while the other two would keep it in the middle between two other lines.

Or other hobby uses. Sigh.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I suspect the reason we are having difficulty identifying it is because we are thinking it's a kitchen tool, and its real purpose probably has nothing to do with a kitchen.
I agree and commented on this s few posts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What if it's only part of a tool? For example if it's a detachable handle to the part of the tool that gets used?
I think this is true. Looks like it might fit into something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with cooking either.

Because of the rounded parts from bottom to sides, someone else suggested it looks like it should be a ..... arghhhh .... the thingy you use to push the window screens into the tight channel with the rubber tubing on top.

But this would be a double groove/channel. And the centre piece, although not really sharp per se, would probably cut screening.

The handle really suggest being hand held. If it was to be inserted into a hole it would probably not be tooled and smoothed like that. It was made for hands.
Its not a spline tool for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Nah. You push the screen into the spline with a wheel thingy. Done that enough times.
Thingy is called a "spline tool".
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

The tool used to mash sauerkraut is a called a Kraut Krusher or a stomper. It doesn't look anything like Step's tool. Who Sells Kraut Krusher - 17" Sauerkraut Stomper | KITCHEN FOR NEW HOUSE
Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The tool used to mash sauerkraut is a called a Kraut Krusher or a stomper. It doesn't look anything like Step's tool. Who Sells Kraut Krusher - 17" Sauerkraut Stomper | KITCHEN FOR NEW HOUSE
I had a friend who used something that looked like that to mash potatoes.