"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #111
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I had posted a pic of this tool on Instructibles. I got a reply from someone who said that it is a tool for shaping a quiche. Now they have quiche pans that are fluted around the edge, but if you were using say a round cake pan that was flat around the edge, you would have the crust up the sides of the pan, and use this tool to press against the dough to form the fluted edge of the quiche. It sounds logical, and Step's grandmother said she used it for pie crust, but if that's what it is, I still don't know why we can't find it anywhere on the internet. The person who answered me said he looked on the internet and I did too. No results.
Sorry, that just doesn't seem to be right. Why would the middle 'tine' be a bit sharper than the side tines? Unless I can't quite visualize what that woman meant.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #112
Head Chef

I sometimes sit and stare at the pics that were uploaded of the tool. Yeah, I'm getting a lot obsessive about this!

Something to ask myself and others, as a possible clue to it's use.
Why are the side tines not as sharp as the middle one? Surely there had to be a reason for that. (Just so you know---- I haven't a clue, but maybe it will point to a clue for someone else.)

As if I didn't have enough to do today:

1. Change my clocks
2. Update my Netflix queue
3. Eat lunch
4. Take a nap

You can see how busy I am!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I showed this to Stirling and he's pretty sure he has seen one. He thinks it's something used for ravioli or something long. It would be used to press down the dough around some sort of filling.

He reminded me of going to a museum of the "lost towns". The towns were lost when the land they were on was flooded for the Saint Lawrence Seaway. We saw a strange looking agricultural tool. He asked his mum if she knew what it was. She grew up on a farm in Alberta. "Know what it is? I know how to drive one."

It was a horse drawn potato planter.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #114
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I showed this to Stirling and he's pretty sure he has seen one. He thinks it's something used for ravioli or something long. It would be used to press down the dough around some sort of filling...
Any ravioli press I've ever seen has straight edges so you can press all edges shut with one motion. Some presses have flat edges and some are toothed but they are all straight.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Any ravioli press I've ever seen has straight edges so you can press all edges shut with one motion. Some presses have flat edges and some are toothed but they are all straight.
So, maybe for something other than ravioli. That thing looks like it could be rocked while pressing dough together.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #116
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
So, maybe for something other than ravioli. That thing looks like it could be rocked while pressing dough together.

I suspect we are all going to be surprised when we find out what this is.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #117
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I suspect we are all going to be surprised when we find out what this is.
True!

CarolPa - Interesting article on Instructables, seems possible! I like the cross reference to my brothers post on Reddit. The picture now comes up on google when I type 'Quiche Shaper'

I am going to re think my research strategy....!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #118
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
True!

CarolPa - Interesting article on Instructables, seems possible! I like the cross reference to my brothers post on Reddit. The picture now comes up on google when I type 'Quiche Shaper'

I am going to re think my research strategy....!

Step, I also posted the picture on Reddit, but in a different category than yours. I saw yours afterwards. It's strange how your photo pops up now, but because we know it's your photo we know we didn't find an actual reference.

Tax Lady
, I agree that it looks like it would be rocked back and forth when used.

I can't think of anywhere else where we could post this picture.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #119
Head Chef

Quote:
Good observance, about it may be used in a rocking motion. I'm not so sure about it being used on dough but I'm certainly not sure I'm certain about that!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #120
Executive Chef

Every time I go to Goodwill I look through the bin of utensils. People are always donating them. If I ever find one, I will be jumping for joy, but I still won't know what it is or what it's for.