Can you identify this tool??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I throw pottery and can say I've never seen anything like that. Maybe a texture tool for hand building? I thought it might be a slip mixer but it's not big enough.

Thank you for the suggestions, I posted a picture on a Crafts forum and still no luck! I think if heated it might work well blending butter/sugar/flour for a cake, I think I will give this a go sometime!

Drum roll please! Mystery solved, a member of the UK crafts forum recognises it as a tool for pressing cabbage!! I really would never have guessed that but it makes perfect sense as she is Norwegian and likes making Surkal (Norwegian Sauaerkraut or fermented cabbage)
The presser tool apparently fits into a oak container or drum designed for use with the tool and is used to press but not over-press cabbage...
I guess that will be healthier slightly than the cake. Thank you for all your help!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, I just wondered can anyone identify this tool? I hope you can view the attachment I couldn't work out how to post the image!

Is there any company name engraved on this tool? I would like to research it further.

Is there any company name engraved on this tool? I would like to research it further.
I use mine for softening butter when I have a big batch of sandwiches to make. Stand the metal part in boiling water for a few minutes, dry it and mash the 'fridge-cold butter. Less wasteful than the m/wave.

Drum roll please! Mystery solved, a member of the UK crafts forum recognises it as a tool for pressing cabbage!! I really would never have guessed that but it makes perfect sense as she is Norwegian and likes making Surkal (Norwegian Sauaerkraut or fermented cabbage)
The presser tool apparently fits into a oak container or drum designed for use with the tool and is used to press but not over-press cabbage...
I guess that will be healthier slightly than the cake. Thank you for all your help!
Mine didn't come with a drum. It's rather too small to be practical for the usage you suggest. The handle is only big enough to hold in your fist and the aluminium part is only about 2.5-3" across.

I use mine for softening butter when I have a big batch of sandwiches to make. Stand the metal part in boiling water for a few minutes, dry it and mash the 'fridge-cold butter. Less wasteful than the m/wave.

MadCook - Does yours have a company or manufacturer name on it?

MadCook - Does yours have a company or manufacturer name on it?

Unfortunately it doesn't have any markings on it and actually I don't believe it came with a drum.

MadCook - do you have one too? Could you post a picture? Yes having researched making Surkal I can't find anything that actually looks like it but I think warming it to melt butter is a good idea. I only do a bit of cooking now and then but I've heard mixing butter with flour for pastry should always be done cold..

Step, thank you for letting us know just what the mystery tool is. So often a person will come on here and ask a similar question. When we don't have a definitive answer, we never hear from them again. Did they get an answer elsewhere or not? :angel:

Unfortunately it doesn't have any markings on it and actually I don't believe it came with a drum.

MadCook - do you have one too? Could you post a picture? Yes having researched making Surkal I can't find anything that actually looks like it but I think warming it to melt butter is a good idea. I only do a bit of cooking now and then but I've heard mixing butter with flour for pastry should always be done cold..

Step, I also researched making Surkal and Saurkraut and did not see any cooking tools that resembled this one. My son makes saurkraut and never saw this too. I am very interested in kitchen gagets and always look for unusual ones. I would like to know where I can get one of these, but in order to find one online I would need to know either the manufacturer or the actual name of the item.

That's interesting, but without seeing the entire tool, I'm not really buying into this explanation. Having said that, I can't identify it, either.

I come from a long line of sauerkraut makers on my dad's side of the family - granted, he is German rather than Norwegian, but the concept is the same. I've seen cabbage mashing tools, but generally they are made of wood and resemble the business end of a baseball bat.

Something like this:
il_570xN.202577461.jpg

It looks to me like something that could be used with pastry dough to make the gashes, three at a time, say in a bear claw, or cheese danish. It would be useful for combining chopped apples into dough to make apple fritters as well.

It would be a good tool for breaking up ground beef in the pan, when making something like taco meat, or browned hamburger for a sauce.

I also think it could be a good device for cutting fat into pie dough.

If all else fails, it's a throwing weapon to quickly remove an errant kitty-cat from the dining room table.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Bear Claw Tool made of plastic, but the metal one is similar, apple fritters are mixed with a bench scraper. I've never in 30 years of working in bakeries seen a tool like that.

Attachments

• plastic-bear-claw-cutter.jpg
    plastic-bear-claw-cutter.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 264
Well I thought I had the answer! I won't give up the search until I find something. I will ask my gran again when I next see her :)

CarolPa - It definitely has no manufacturer or markings on it, I may even try taking to restaurants/cookware shops to ask!

I asked my gran and she can't remember what it is for although it seems to be Norwegian and she suggested crimping the edge of pies

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom