Can you identify this tool??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks CarolPa for the picture its a good suggestion although its is almost certainly not a butter curler but she did like working with butter, she had a tiny saucepan just for melting small amounts and those wooden paddles for making butter balls.
It could be English although I think I mentioned a reply before about it being for making sauerkraut by a Russian!

MadCook - it would be great if you could take a pic somehow..!

The closest idea I've had so far is to do with pastry because although my gran couldn't remember she suggested she may have used it for working with pastry. It just seems the ridges are too far apart for crimping unless it was a giants pie. I searched for vintage pastry knife...they seem to have the same rocking ability although it is not as sharp

what do you reckon?

Attachments

• il_570xN_412866989_dj65.jpg
    il_570xN_412866989_dj65.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 214
Are we on the same tool? Didn't someone say what that was, a cabbage smasher or something?

Because of the way it's made, I don't think it's a meat tenderizer. All the meat tenderizers I've seen were made as to swing them the way you would a hammer, to pound the meat. This seems to be made to press down on something. All the saurkraut presses I found were wooden with a flat head. The strange shape of the head is what has us stumped. A search for pastry crimpers doesn't find anything similar either. It's like Mad Cook and Step have the only 2 ever made!!!

I posted the pictures on my facebook page hoping someone may recognize it.
So far no one has. Even the trained chef.

My favorite mystery show! I've listed a few things about it that were scattered in different posts to help clarify my mind.

Weighs about 4 ounces
Length----top to bottom about 5 inches
width---not given but I'm guessing about 3 inches
Wooden handle.

It was in a drawer with nail polish, nail clippers, a brochure, a battery and other 'stuff' ---- but in the kitchen.

Step---- is that middle protrusion sharp in any way---- maybe not knife sharp but enough to cut through 'something'? It looks beveled, is it?

This will haunt me until an answer is found!

I've wondered if it's only one of a set of two. If there were two of them, maybe they could be inserted into notches on either side of a special pan and used to lift the pan. It looks rarely used and maybe is waiting for it's partner to show up so both can be used for it's intended job. However, it also looks like it's made to rock back and forth while doing it's job. Maybe it fits into a special container to do it's job, like a nut chopper so as to not chop too fine. I'll be back.

It was in a drawer with nail polish, nail clippers, a brochure, a battery and other 'stuff' ---- but in the kitchen.

Step---- is that middle protrusion sharp in any way---- maybe not knife sharp but enough to cut through 'something'? It looks beveled, is it?

The tool was found in a kitchen drawer although the picture is taken on a table hence the other stuff

The middle part is sharper.

Addie: I sent an email to Cooks Illustrated although not a picture so I doubt they're doing any research!

Pacanis: I thought it was discovered although no pictures of it as a cabbage press can be found and most people agree it is too small for this use

"The middle part is sharper."

Sharper ---- like could you cut yourself on it? With a lot of pressure or like a knife blade?

The Devil is in the Details

Last edited:
Actually its not quite sharp enough for that just slightly more so than the outer ridges!

I've wondered if it's only one of a set of two. If there were two of them, maybe they could be inserted into notches on either side of a special pan and used to lift the pan. It looks rarely used and maybe is waiting for it's partner to show up so both can be used for it's intended job. However, it also looks like it's made to rock back and forth while doing it's job. Maybe it fits into a special container to do it's job, like a nut chopper so as to not chop too fine. I'll be back.

Yeah, because no one knew what it was for! :LOL:

Thanks, Step, about how sharp the middle 'tine' is. That adds to my knowledge of things that don't help me figure out what the darned thing is. LOL But every little bit helps.

Last edited:
Hi, I had never heard of Reddit but my brother did post a picture on here although I've yet to hear any breakthrough! I would love to put a definitive name to it instead of thing!!

I also thought it was much bigger. The measurements are important.

So far nothing on my facebook page or another cooking forum.

My favorite mystery show! I've listed a few things about it that were scattered in different posts to help clarify my mind.

Weighs about 4 ounces
Length----top to bottom about 5 inches
width---not given but I'm guessing about 3 inches
Wooden handle.

Perhaps it was bought as a gift because the giver knew Granma was a keen cook but G didn't know what to with it and it ended up in the drawer where unwanted presents go to die

This tool may have nothing to do with cooking. Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree?
This may be why we cannot ID it.

This tool may have nothing to do with cooking. Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree?
This may be why we cannot ID it.

I think that uses other than cooking has been explored here already. Maybe not for everything, but a lot. Still a mystery. :)

I think this is a first for DC. We have always been able to ID mystery items before this. What has become of us?

Back
Top Bottom