Can you identify this tool??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a friend who used something that looked like that to mash potatoes.

I also knew someone who used a tool like that Sauerkraut Stomper for mashing potatoes. She was a senior citizen (way back then) so maybe that type of potato masher is no long 'in favor' with newer generations. But it worked fine! She made great mashed potatoes.

I don't think the tool is one used in the millinery industry. I couldn't find any tools that looked like that re: hat making. I once had a friend in the millinery industry...unfortunately, I've lost touch with her. Anyway, the tool used to shape hat brims (hats are made on hat forms) is a rounding jack brim cutter and doesn't look anything like that. I checked masonry hand tools, nadda. It would help if some of the OP's grandma's crafty things were mentioned...I'll get the DH to look at the pictures...he might know what they are...or he might not.

Last edited:
As mentioned before she is Norwegian and did have involvement in the following crafts you have mentioned although she had given up most of this when she moved and I'm not sure she'd have packed it!

millinery
leatherworking
gardening
felting
cooking
pottery

She went to Art school and was very into crafts, it could well be a simple tool that is no longer produced, thank you again for all your suggestions I'm sure we will discover its use!

But I wanna know NOW. :LOL:

Those crafts may give us a hint. Thanks.

Me too Cave! We have to remember that Mad Cook has this item also, or something very close to it. We don't know if she is into any of these crafts. She uses hers for cooking.

Me too Cave! We have to remember that Mad Cook has this item also, or something very close to it. We don't know if she is into any of these crafts. She uses hers for cooking.

Is this where Mad Cook says she uses hers for cooking?

"I use mine for softening butter when I have a big batch of sandwiches to make. Stand the metal part in boiling water for a few minutes, dry it and mash the 'fridge-cold butter. Less wasteful than the m/wave."

Not doubting her for a minute---- but that sounds more like she's re-purposed something that was for a different use. I hope MadCook can get back here and give us some more details.

This is driving me crazy! I have checked out candle making, soap making, pasta making/cutting tools and candy making. Also, looked at cast aluminum tools. Nothing looks like this :(. Off to look at more craft tools.......

Is this where Mad Cook says she uses hers for cooking?

"I use mine for softening butter when I have a big batch of sandwiches to make. Stand the metal part in boiling water for a few minutes, dry it and mash the 'fridge-cold butter. Less wasteful than the m/wave."

Not doubting her for a minute---- but that sounds more like she's re-purposed something that was for a different use. I hope MadCook can get back here and give us some more details.

It's funny she didn't mention where she got hers or what it was originally used for. I can just picture her digging through her craft tools..."Now what can I use to soften some butter?" LOL

It's funny she didn't mention where she got hers or what it was originally used for. I can just picture her digging through her craft tools..."Now what can I use to soften some butter?" LOL

Yep---- I do stuff like that too. It's amazing how much I can re-purpose! :LOL:

I had posted a pic of this tool on Instructibles. I got a reply from someone who said that it is a tool for shaping a quiche. Now they have quiche pans that are fluted around the edge, but if you were using say a round cake pan that was flat around the edge, you would have the crust up the sides of the pan, and use this tool to press against the dough to form the fluted edge of the quiche. It sounds logical, and Step's grandmother said she used it for pie crust, but if that's what it is, I still don't know why we can't find it anywhere on the internet. The person who answered me said he looked on the internet and I did too. No results.

I had posted a pic of this tool on Instructibles. I got a reply from someone who said that it is a tool for shaping a quiche. Now they have quiche pans that are fluted around the edge, but if you were using say a round cake pan that was flat around the edge, you would have the crust up the sides of the pan, and use this tool to press against the dough to form the fluted edge of the quiche. It sounds logical, and Step's grandmother said she used it for pie crust, but if that's what it is, I still don't know why we can't find it anywhere on the internet. The person who answered me said he looked on the internet and I did too. No results.

Sorry, that just doesn't seem to be right. Why would the middle 'tine' be a bit sharper than the side tines? Unless I can't quite visualize what that woman meant.

I sometimes sit and stare at the pics that were uploaded of the tool. Yeah, I'm getting a lot obsessive about this!

Something to ask myself and others, as a possible clue to it's use.
Why are the side tines not as sharp as the middle one? Surely there had to be a reason for that. (Just so you know---- I haven't a clue, but maybe it will point to a clue for someone else.)

As if I didn't have enough to do today:

1. Change my clocks
2. Update my Netflix queue
3. Eat lunch
4. Take a nap

You can see how busy I am!

I showed this to Stirling and he's pretty sure he has seen one. He thinks it's something used for ravioli or something long. It would be used to press down the dough around some sort of filling.

He reminded me of going to a museum of the "lost towns". The towns were lost when the land they were on was flooded for the Saint Lawrence Seaway. We saw a strange looking agricultural tool. He asked his mum if she knew what it was. She grew up on a farm in Alberta. "Know what it is? I know how to drive one." :LOL:

It was a horse drawn potato planter.

I showed this to Stirling and he's pretty sure he has seen one. He thinks it's something used for ravioli or something long. It would be used to press down the dough around some sort of filling...

Any ravioli press I've ever seen has straight edges so you can press all edges shut with one motion. Some presses have flat edges and some are toothed but they are all straight.

Any ravioli press I've ever seen has straight edges so you can press all edges shut with one motion. Some presses have flat edges and some are toothed but they are all straight.
So, maybe for something other than ravioli. That thing looks like it could be rocked while pressing dough together.

I suspect we are all going to be surprised when we find out what this is.

True!

CarolPa - Interesting article on Instructables, seems possible! I like the cross reference to my brothers post on Reddit. The picture now comes up on google when I type 'Quiche Shaper'

I am going to re think my research strategy....!

True!

CarolPa - Interesting article on Instructables, seems possible! I like the cross reference to my brothers post on Reddit. The picture now comes up on google when I type 'Quiche Shaper'

I am going to re think my research strategy....!

Step, I also posted the picture on Reddit, but in a different category than yours. I saw yours afterwards. It's strange how your photo pops up now, but because we know it's your photo we know we didn't find an actual reference.

Tax Lady
, I agree that it looks like it would be rocked back and forth when used.

I can't think of anywhere else where we could post this picture.

So, maybe for something other than ravioli. That thing looks like it could be rocked while pressing dough together.

Good observance, about it may be used in a rocking motion. I'm not so sure about it being used on dough but I'm certainly not sure I'm certain about that!

Every time I go to Goodwill I look through the bin of utensils. People are always donating them. If I ever find one, I will be jumping for joy, but I still won't know what it is or what it's for.

Back
Top Bottom