"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #81
Assistant Cook

Old, addled brains is what's become of us (well, some of us....)

I would guess Danish pastry shaper....OR something in the line of homemade sausages?....could it be used to secure and cut 2 sausages in their casings? (never made sausages though).

Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #82
Wine Guy

I suspect the reason we are having difficulty identifying it is because we are thinking it's a kitchen tool, and its real purpose probably has nothing to do with a kitchen.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #83
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I suspect the reason we are having difficulty identifying it is because we are thinking it's a kitchen tool, and its real purpose probably has nothing to do with a kitchen.
Felting, leather work and other non-cooking uses have been explored. I don't know how thoroughly though. Do you have any other uses to look into?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #84
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
You know, I bet you're right. This looks like something that would be useful in something like leather-working, or maybe if with clay. I'll bet it's a very specialized tool, with one function. Maybe it's used to form tubes, or measuring a certain sized tube.

I am guessing though. Just hoping that something I said sparks a memory in someone else.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #85
Executive Chef

No matter what it is, it seems awfully strange that no one has any idea what it is, and the only person who has even seen one is Mad Cook. Out of all the people here from different parts of the country and other countries. I have done searches through pictures of various tools, vintage tools, Scandinavian tools, tools from UK, and not just kitchen tools. It included hundreds of various tools. Others have done searches for tools or utensils for other uses, too. No one can find it anywhere. Mad Cook uses hers for mashing butter, but a search for a butter masher found nothing.

I always thought you could find ANYTHING through the internet.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What if it's only part of a tool? For example if it's a detachable handle to the part of the tool that gets used?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #87
Master Chef

You should go to one of those traveling antique shows. Maybe you have a treasure on your hand, worth thousands, maybe more. You'll be famous, they are going to show you on TV.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #88
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
No matter what it is, it seems awfully strange that no one has any idea what it is, and the only person who has even seen one is Mad Cook.
Well, her name IS Mad Cook, after all. [Ducking and running.]

But I think that Step is the OP on this thread, so that makes two people? And did Mad Cook actually say she had a tool just like the OP has?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #89
Head Chef

It must have come from outer space and was left behind by ancient aliens.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #90
Head Chef

I don't think it has anything to do with cooking either.

Because of the rounded parts from bottom to sides, someone else suggested it looks like it should be a ..... arghhhh .... the thingy you use to push the window screens into the tight channel with the rubber tubing on top.

But this would be a double groove/channel. And the centre piece, although not really sharp per se, would probably cut screening.

The handle really suggest being hand held. If it was to be inserted into a hole it would probably not be tooled and smoothed like that. It was made for hands.