Can you identify this tool??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tool used to mash sauerkraut is a called a Kraut Krusher or a stomper. It doesn't look anything like Step's tool. Who Sells Kraut Krusher - 17" Sauerkraut Stomper | KITCHEN FOR NEW HOUSE

Oh, this is definitely is used as potato masher, at least in my house it always was. My mother still uses it at her house. Actually pretty much everybody I knew back in Soviet Union had the same tool for mashing potato. It was not until maybe 70-s when the new style, the metal thing with holes, started to show up.

I really do think, antic shop is the way to go.

Oh, this is definitely is used as potato masher, at least in my house it always was. My mother still uses it at her house. Actually pretty much everybody I knew back in Soviet Union had the same tool for mashing potato. It was not until maybe 70-s when the new style, the metal thing with holes, started to show up.

I really do think, antic shop is the way to go.
Still on sale today. Saw one not long before this thread started but can't now remember where.

I was thinking a "key" of some sort. I remember seeing something like this before. Where the tool in question is inserted into something to either open it or to raise it?

Just throwing more fuel on the fire. This is driving me to drink. Well actually i already drink, but I can use this mystery tool as a new excuse.

Last edited:
I was thinking a "key" of some sort. I remember seeing something like this before. Where the tool in question is inserted into something to either open it or to raise it?

Just throwing more fuel on the fire. This is driving me to drink. Well actually i already drink, but I can use this mystery tool as a new excuse.

Lol! RB! I feel the same way!

LOL I always used to say "You drive me to drink....I'll pay for the gas."

Devil's advocate here----- but why would the middle tine be sharper? Yeah, I know, there could be dozens of reasons---- just driving you to drink more. ;)

I don't think the middle on is especially sharper. With the slanted side coming from both sides, it just looks sharper. The shape of what ever it does with the two "slots" appear symmetrical. I also thought early on that it might fit into something else to work.

:LOL: I could only get a partial image.... :ROFLMAO:

door.gif

and unfortunately it does not show the keyhole :angel:

I don't think the middle on is especially sharper. With the slanted side coming from both sides, it just looks sharper.

Earlier in this thread I asked Step:

"Step---- is that middle protrusion sharp in any way---- maybe not knife sharp but enough to cut through 'something'? It looks beveled, is it?"

Step answered:
"The middle part is sharper."

So, 'sharper' doesn't necessarily mean it's knife sharp, just 'sharper' than the outer tines.

Its still not known just how sharp that middle tine is. Step? Time to step up and demystify this one small mystery. ;)

Its still not known just how sharp that middle tine is. .... ;)

From the look of it and comparing to the other items on the picture, I would say that it is not sharp at all, it is I would guess is about 1/16 of an inch, somewhere in the are between 1 and 2 mm. You can definitely see the flat edge in the middle part.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread I asked Step:

"Step---- is that middle protrusion sharp in any way---- maybe not knife sharp but enough to cut through 'something'? It looks beveled, is it?"

Step answered:
"The middle part is sharper."

So, 'sharper' doesn't necessarily mean it's knife sharp, just 'sharper' than the outer tines.

Its still not known just how sharp that middle tine is. Step? Time to step up and demystify this one small mystery. ;)

Still waiting for Step to step up. :)

I sent a link of the pix to my mummy-in-law. She has never seen one, but she wrote, "For some reason It sticks in my mind that it had something to do with butter making. You know making small pats instead of pounds. Let me know if you find out."

Its not sharp like a knife, its 1-2mm narrower than the outer tines. What is the purpose of a key with curved edges besides would it not be an overly simple design? Or was that not a serious idea!
I still think its designed to crush/blend/mash...........

Its not sharp like a knife, its 1-2mm narrower than the outer tines. What is the purpose of a key with curved edges besides would it not be an overly simple design? Or was that not a serious idea!
I still think its designed to crush/blend/mash...........

It was a serious idea.
I remember seeing a latch or handle on a walk in freezer one time and the handle was inserted into three slots.
It was pushed into the slots and raised or lowered opening the door.
Then the clerk would take the key away with them for safe keeping.

I remember this, but have no idea as to the origin of these memories.
But something tells me that tool inserts into something to do a mechanical operation? Just taking a stab.

Back
Top Bottom