Can you identify this tool??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Step

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, I just wondered can anyone identify this tool? I hope you can view the attachment I couldn't work out how to post the image!

Attachments

• DSC04487.jpg
    DSC04487.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 477
My first impression is that it is some sort of meat tenderizer. I Googled meat tenderizers/old-fashioned meat tenderizers and didn't see anything that resembled what you are showing.

I'll have to put my thinking hat on and see if anything else comes to mind.

Ah Thank you! Meat tenderizer was mentioned but as you say nothing resembles it.
I found it when I was helping to clear out my granma's flat and we and she can not work out what it is for. I took it to her today and she can't remember only mentioned is it something to do with pottery?! I studied Art at university but didn't recognize it, plus we did find it in her kitchen utensils drawer. She is from Norway so is it possibly Scandinavian?

sorry the picture isn't too clear I should of cropped out the untidy array of nail varnishes and general clutter!

I think you might be on to something with the pottery connection.

The curved, graduated shape of the metal part implies that it might be used in a rocking motion and/or to score some material, be it a consumable or, perhaps, clay.

Your search might yield some results if you delve into the world of pottery art.

I'm baffled, too. Maybe you could check with a museum. Sturbridge Village, Mass. comes to mind, but without knowing what it is, it's hard to think of what to ask.

Does anyone know of a way to search for an image?

Last edited:
I performed another search and, this time, I asked Google for images of "potter's tools." Nothing like your item came up, but this image shows several tools with thick handles like the tool you have. The heftiness of the handle of your implement indicates to me that it has to be substantial because it might be used to exert great pressure or that it is used on/against a substance that is dense or resistant to impression. That could be clay.

Then, again, I could be totally off. Just another thought.

I don't think it is old enough to check with a museum, it's a fairly modern item, just a bit of a mystery!

Yes it does look similar to some pottery tools but most of them are actual rollers to create patterns which it doesn't. If you notice the middle ridge is slightly thinner as if to cut. It is quite sturdy though. It also has no marks on it for identification... my immediate thought was to blend dough or pastry?

It's a tool for carrying two hamburger patties through neck-deep water. :)

That cracked me up. I think I've at least found a good use for it! It definitely wasn't made by a blacksmith but I could try a toolmaker, thankyou for your suggestions I think I'll feel a little embarrassed if its not to do with cooking though...

Yes your right I think it is cast Aluminium and the handle is possibly some kind of modern rubber wood

You've definitely got my curiosity piqued.

What is the size, and how heavy (roughly)?

Hmmmm? That's pretty small. Less than 1/4# and 5"? Maybe a leather working tool? They are used with a mallet to mark the leather?

I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Here are some slightly better photos? My latest idea was something to do with crushing/breaking up ingredients...

All the ideas so far are possible as my granma was very crafty, still can't identify a match!

Attachments

• DSC04489.jpg
    DSC04489.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC04491.jpg
    DSC04491.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 367

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom