"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Can you "taste" a recipe?

Heck yeah sis!
Case in point:
I received a new cookbook in the mail that I ordered;
I'm sitting there glancing through some of the recipes and
my mouth is SOOOOO watering!
As you CG, I know intuitively what my Mister is NOT going
to care for and work around it.

(off topic)
But here's an odd twist:
as we have aged, our taste buds have as well.
Dishes that I have made for YEARS recently have not
been well received at my table.
And yet, I have tried some what I thought were way out in
left field stuff in the past couple of months and DH LOVE IT!
Go figure :shrug:

Old 02-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It depends on what it is. For example, I know what most herbs and spices taste like by themselves. Provided the dish only has a handful of seasonings, I can more or less predict how it will taste.

But when you start adding in a lot of flavorings (curry, for example), then all bets are off.
Agreed, but as I cook more curries, I'm beginning to get that too.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
...Do you 'feel' or 'see' the taste or actually 'taste' it in your mouth?...
Not taste in the sense as if I just put a forkful into my mouth, but my taste buds seem to know what the flavor will be when I actually eat it. FWIW, I can also "sing" 3-part harmony in my head. I don't know if I've made it clearer, or confused you more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
When it comes to apples, I am quite often surprised to find that I can accurately gauge what it will taste like by its appearance i.e. degree of crunch and often how sweet it may or may not be.
I didn't mean individual foods. It's when you read a recipe that has different seasonings - do you know, right then, what that finished dish will taste like when you take your first bite? New recipes only, not a TNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Heck yeah sis!...
As you CG, I know intuitively what my Mister is NOT going
to care for and work around it.

(off topic)
But here's an odd twist:
as we have aged, our taste buds have as well.
Dishes that I have made for YEARS recently have not
been well received at my table.
And yet, I have tried some what I thought were way out in
left field stuff in the past couple of months and DH LOVE IT!
Go figure :shrug:
No "go figure". I've given up on "figuring out" Himself for a long while now! I do know what you're talking about with your tastes changing. I'm more accepting now of flavors I said I did not like years ago - as long as none of them are cilantro. I guess my taste buds have grown up a bit. Either that's what's happened to your DH, or else you have finally succeeded in wearing him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
..I think your idea of tasting a recipe comes from experience gained from cooking and experimenting in the kitchen. I've been cooking for nearly 60 years, so I have learned a lot and, through that experience, can rather easily guess what a dish will be like after reading the recipe.

However any of us do it, it's all part of enjoying the cooking (and eating) process.
Katie, you just said it so much better than I could. Thank you! I'm almost nipping at your heels, having been cooking since I was 12 - 52 years of cuts and burns to prove it, too.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #14
Head Chef

I usually have a pretty good sense of a recipes taste just by reading it.
And my wife is the opposite
She will often cut out a recipe and ask me if I think it will taste good, and 9 out of 10 times it doesn't. Her problem , is that she uses her eyes too much. She looks at the picture of the completed recipe, which makes it look outstanding. But anything can be made to look great when there are food artists and professional photographers involved. Sure I look at the pics, but I pay more attention to the ingredients, technique and my cooking knowledge and past experiences.

Her biggest flaw is selecting recipes with way too much parmesan in it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, and not that its going to taste bad. I just find that a lot of recipes that have parmesan add way too much, so all you do is taste the parmesan. So she will hand me a recipe where the pic looks great, and i read it through and it looks pretty good, until the last step says " add 1/2 cup parmesan...." At that point I tell her, its going to taste good, but just like every other recipe that says add 1/2 cup parmesan
Old 02-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #15
Head Chef

What makes a more interesting recipe for me, is trying one that I can't come close to predicting the outcome. Im always looking for something new. And since my diet is a little restricted ( being a veg), any new ingredients or new flavor profiles for me peek my curiosity and make me want to try it more, almost like an eye opening experience.
Especially international dishes with spices or veggies Ive never heard of before, and with the internet now, almost everything is accessible
Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I can identity what is missing. All mid notes, no high or low. I waited all winter for the first strawberries and spinach of the season last year because I could taste the dark chocolate vinegar made into a dressing with bacon fat, bacon jam, and strawberry jam. It tasted exactly like I thought it would.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
What makes a more interesting recipe for me, is trying one that I can't come close to predicting the outcome. Im always looking for something new. And since my diet is a little restricted ( being a veg), any new ingredients or new flavor profiles for me peek my curiosity and make me want to try it more, almost like an eye opening experience.
Especially international dishes with spices or veggies Ive never heard of before, and with the internet now, almost everything is accessible
I've mentioned this before, Larry, but I thought you might be interested in this site: http://globaltableadventure.com/welcome/

This woman and her family ate their way around the world alphabetically and she has over 600 recipes on her site. Many of them are vegetarian and I'm sure you could adapt others.

I'm going to work on trying more of these kinds of meals.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

CG, I'm with you and Katie, although I havenít been cooking as long yet I have a good idea from reading a recipe how it will taste - except for cuisines that are new to me, like the Persian rice I made last week. It had a spice combination I haven't used before. I know what each tastes like, but I don't cook with them often, so I couldn't predict what the final flavor would be.

For the record, the spice mix (masala) had cardamom seeds, cumin seeds, whole cloves, ground cinnamon and black peppercorns (although I used a four-peppercorn blend I already had), plus turmeric in the water used to make the rice. I have some left to use again.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've mentioned this before, Larry, but I thought you might be interested in this site: Welcome | Global Table Adventure

This woman and her family ate their way around the world alphabetically and she has over 600 recipes on her site. Many of them are vegetarian and I'm sure you could adapt others.

I'm going to work on trying more of these kinds of meals.
Thanks, now I know what ill be doing today
Old 02-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I can "taste" things I have previously made, but can only anticipate what a new recipe will actually taste like based on having made similar dishes. The use of familiar herbs and spices in a new recipe can provide an expectation of the taste, but sometimes I am surprised!

Tags
recipe