Candy thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adelphi

Assistant Cook
what's the best? probe or infra? any suggested items?

thanks in advance :)

Morning! I just use an inexpensive one made by Taylor...It clips on the pot and is wasy to read. I'm sure there are better ones out there. When one of mine goes ka-put...I just replace it.

Enjoy!

The best (most accurate) candy/fry thermometers are wet bulb types - they don't have to be calibrated. Digital or dial type need to be calibrated ... and "infra" will give you the "surface" temperature - not the temp under the surface.

Another nice thing is that they are also fairly cheap.

My candy and meat thermometers look like this
281653321_2625769d2a.jpg
Excpet, the back is metal and the handle is wood. They are GREAT!! They are about 20 years old too, lol. They were my moms, but, still work very well!

I have both a wet bulb and a dial type. I prefer the my dial type Taylor because it has an 18" probe, takes up less room in the pot and is easier to read. I've seen some complaints about the lettering coming off some of the paddle type wet bulbs. My mercury wet bulb is over 30 years old and has the lettering inside of a glass tube. Because of condensation problems i had to dry out and reseal the glass tube about 2 years ago and that's when I decided to spring for the Taylor long probe dial type.

Back
Top Bottom