Can't get my first blow torch to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
butane (pure) has no smell, but some have a smell (usually a Mercaptan base) added.
the best thing to do is to try fill it and then let it stand upright for a few minutes, you`re supposed to do this anyway to prevent flaring of the flame.
then have a listen for any obvious leakage, you could try putting it in a plastic bag and sealing it airtight and waiting for a while, if it`s leaking the bag will get bigger.

you could also test with a match around the base too, but only if tests 1 and 2 pass.

I'm a soap bubble guy. Put a few drops of dish soap in a small glass of water and use your finger to "paint" some on around the screw you loosened. If there's a leak you will see tiny bubbles forming. I actually keep a spray bottle of soap & water in the basement with my plumbinig stuff. I used it to find a slow leak in my ATV tire last week and stick a plug in it. I use it if I am running new gas lines, too, to check my connections.
And of course all the ways YT mentioned will work, too, but soap & water will find a leak no matter how small and is very safe.

Knowing YT, he would probably want a baggie full of butane to dispose of :LOL:

Along the same lines, you could just stick the bottom into a bit of water and look for bubbles. Do not submerge it all the way, but just enough to get the screw in.

Back
Top Bottom