Can't get my first blow torch to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooking_guy

Assistant Cook
hello,

i recently for a basic chef's blow torch but cant seem to get it to work.
it has got a smal screw (which i can pull out, and which goes back in when i let go) just below the trigger. it has got a black dial at teh top.

i cant get any flame out of the blow torch.

the only way to pull the trigger seems to be when i pull down the screw. but that does produce any flame.

is there anything i need to do before the blow torch is active. can you guys help me with my blowtorch.

i am attaching a picture of my blow torch.

Attachments

• IMG00183.jpg
    IMG00183.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 285
:) Check your instructions and read what each thing dos on this torch. Dos it have a safety valve that needs to be turned. Is the ignition sparking and dos it have fuel? I doubt it came already fueled. You need to get one of those lighter butane bottles that fill lighters read instructions very carefully and fill up your torch .

That's on it's side, the picture, yes? Where does the can of gas go? Are you sure it has fuel?

:) Those kind of torches are for household use they only hold a little fuel much to small for me even at home although I have about three of them. I have a bigger one I found at a hardware store but not as large as the restaurants use.

My opinion (which is what it is) and what I would use in a regular basis unless part of demonstration/show, is a regular blow torch from the hardware store.

My opinion (which is what it is) and what I would use in a regular basis unless part of demonstration/show, is a regular blow torch from the hardware store.

:) Thats good but if you are only needing it at home for two to four people the small ones are fine.

While a picture may be worth 1,000 words - in this case the Brand Name and Model Number would have given us something to work with - the picture alone is useless.

1) Read the instructions that came with your tourch. They will tell you everything you need to know about how to use it.

2) If it didn't come with instructions - contact the store where you bought it. They can help you get the instructions and can probably give you all the information you need to know to use it.

Like jpmcgrew and VeraBlue mentioned - these generally (I've never seen one) do not come charged with fuel and ready to use out of the box.

thanks for the reply,

it did not come with any instructions. i threw away the packaging so did not know the brand

i am attaching a picture of the underside, i tried to turn the golden circular bit in the underside, it turns a lot and seems to be out to come out(did not turn it all the way), but it did not have any effect.

just called up the store (thanks for the advice, in future will call up the store), and they told me it is a itchencraft. googled for it and here is what i came up with
Kitchen Craft - Blowtorch Yellow UK

notes says "Notes, Supplied empty."

i guess i should be using something like this to refill it.
Sanmex Highly Refined Butane Gas UK

i have never filled a lighter before, but i guess it would be similar and as easy.

any gas i should avoid?

Attachments

• IMG00184.jpg
    IMG00184.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 330
Hmmm... if that picture is representative of the screw you turned until it came out, I wouldn`t even bother trying to fill it.
it`s not meant to come out, it`s the valves gas seal!
the little pin in the middle with the hole in it is where the butane gas can fills up the reservoir of the torch.
if you do fill this, Please, do it outside eh ;)

thanks for the reply,

yes, the picture is representative of the screw that i turned which was coming out (it did not come out all the way)

you think by unscrewing it, i have ruined it?

i will indeed fill it outside. do you say that because of my unscrewing the pin out.

well, if you didn`t screw it back tight enough or it didn`t locate correctly, then expect a leak.
naturally if it Does leak, outside is the best place for that, a pair of gloves on would be a good idea too, Butane boils at a very low temp and can freeze your fingers.

that screw simply isn`t meant to be undone ;)

thanks for the reply,

looks like a damaged it then :( (why was theer a screw like groove there in the first place ?:( )

it it does leak, i guess it would be a continuous leak, so it would no be safe to even keep the torch indoors with butance filled in it.

would butane start leaking out in gaseous form as soon as i fill in the liquid butane? would my fingers be frozen in a matter of seconds that i wont be able to react fast enough? would it injure my fingers?

:) So the lesson here today is. Read the instructions and save them or the manual on everything you buy. Never know when you need to check them again. Keep all your manuals in one place so you can find them quickly when you need them.;)

there`s a groove there for assembly at the factory.
yes, if it leaks it would continue to leak until it ran out of gas.
you`ll always get a little bit of butane spray when filling up most things, it won`t freeze your finger off, but if you get the liquid on you it may cause a little frost and remove skin oils, nothing major, but worth mentioning so you know what to expect and not to panic if it does happen.

thanks for all the replies and all the info.

forewarned is forarmed.

it did not come wtih a manual in the first place :(

i did not unscrew it completely, just a few turns, so i am hopeful it is not dislocated out of some slot, will put some butance into it and see what happens

surroundings are not going to catch fire or anything, correct? just that the torches's usefulness at most, is going to be limited to a leaky torch, correct?

My guess is that the screw could be reseated by screwing it back in. It looks like it contains the nipple that you use to fill the torch. Maybe different countries use a different standard nipple and it's the last thing at the factory they put in depending on where the torch is being shipped.... either way it looks like a removeable part that could be replaced.
Go ahead and fill the torch up and see if it leaks. This DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO LIGHT IT! Just see if it holds gas without leaking.

thanks for the reply,

will fill it bu how do i know if it leaks.

noob question, but does butane smell? and if so will i be able to detect a tiny leak by smelling?

Back
Top Bottom