"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
JustPlainBill, I went back to your link and found a spatula similar to, or the same as, what I am looking for, at considerably less than the Ebay purchas...considerably less. I have 2 weeks to return the Ebay lot, if for any reason. I'll let you know. Thanks!
Please keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Head Chef

Gad, why is it that you always like the same cooking equipment that I like? I own several different sizes of these carbon steel Dexter Russell old turners and spatulas.

Mine are all over 20 years old and are very sturdy. I bet the ones at your church are Dexter Russell too!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Sous Chef

OK, I like carbon steel for these particular spatulae because the old carbon steel ones are roll-tapered and spring tempered, and are made like high end commercial cutlery. They have a good feel to them that new, stamped sheet stainless tools just don't. They are made in the USA, which means jobs for my fellow Americans. When I flick one of these babies with my finger it rings like fine crystal, and when I invert one and press it quickly on the table, it sings like a crosscut saw. When I cook at the griddle for twenty people at a time, it is pretty much non-stop for the forty minutes or so I'm on it, and for things like home fries, fried rice, and the like, that take a lot of turning, I may use two, one in each hand, and I want tools that feel right. I have worked with wood and metal working tools most of my life, in shop and the field, both professionally as well as for myself, and know and respect quality, good materials and craftsmanship. If you know tools, you know what I mean.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Master Chef

ok, now I get it Gadz, and thanks for the detailed explanation. Thank you too for your service to the less fortunate with your cooking. I also serve in a food kitchen for the needy and the personal rewards far outweigh the work involved.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
ok, now I get it Gadz, and thanks for the detailed explanation. Thank you too for your service to the less fortunate with your cooking. I also serve in a food kitchen for the needy and the personal rewards far outweigh the work involved.
Right over the hill in Santa Paula, if I recall correctly.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
When I lived in Everett, I had a neighbor who every night went to the church that served meals to the homeless. He had a job so I asked him why he went there. He told me that his paycheck is so small that without the meal at the church he would have to go to bed hungry every night.

I give to our local food bank every month. I try to buy food for the kids. Cereal, peanut butter, jelly, rice. Children can't do their best is they are hungry all the time. They get the cereal for breakfast and and take a PB &J sandwich to school. I used to allot $10 our of my food stamps. But food prices have been rising, so now I make it $15. It is not much, but if it gives a child just one meal, then I feel that I have accomplished something.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
Sous Chef

justplainbill, the Webstaurant Store baits and switches. They use Dexter Russell for the picyures and Chinese stuff in the package. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
justplainbill, the Webstaurant Store baits and switches. They use Dexter Russell for the picyures and Chinese stuff in the package. Caveat emptor.
I had a problem with that site as well. They refused to acknowledge a defective product.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I had a problem with that site as well. They refused to acknowledge a defective product.

Thanks for this warning! I was looking for some baking pans, I'll just order from the restaurant supply here in town.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Most sites state that they reserve the right to substitute merchandise of equal value. Bait and switch is illegal in most states.