Carbon Steel Griddle Spatula/Turner???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadzooks

Sous Chef
img_1253689_0_576a63a6824035d19cf29f51fc4b8a5f.jpg
I volunteer at the homeless shelter at a local church. I'm the overnight host, and several years ago I started getting up early and cooking breakfast for our guests. The church kitchen has big, old American range, 6 burner with a big griddle, and the griddle is what I cook on. There are some spatulas that have just always been there, 3, identical, and I like them. A lot. They are carbon steel, the kind you have to dry. About 13 1/2 inches long, walnut handles, brass rivets, solid. Square nose. The flat is about 3 1/4" x 6", but here is the thing. Spring tempered, roll tapered carbon steel. These are perfect, and I wanted to get myself a pair of them, but they are impossible to find anywhere (so far). I found one mfr., Dexter Russell, that offers a choice of SS or carbon steel until I try to buy, then offers ony the SS. Any help, anybody? Thanks!

I know where one is, but I would have to hit my Dad over the head to get a hold of it...

Not likely the army would have me back. I'm surplus now, too. Of course, my great temptation is to buy the church nice, shiny, new stainless steel Dexter Russell 8x3's and abscond with the old spatulae.

Last edited:
I would check on Ebay.

I did not find any carbon steel spatulas but this jumbo 14 inch grill spatula looks like a good option.

I like your idea of swapping with the church just like Aladdin old spatulas for new!.

There's more than one way to flip a flapjack!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

mxb_MR_LZLQp1NgVCjcUjCA.jpg

Last edited:
Think I may have found some carbon steel spatulae, 3" w x "6 l flat, beech handles. 3" wide means I can scrape them off easily in a 4" w grease trap chute. We shall see.

Think I may have found some carbon steel spatulae, 3" w x "6 l flat, beech handles. 3" wide means I can scrape them off easily in a 4" w grease trap chute. We shall see.

Yea!!! Once you have yours, can you let us in on the source? In case there are limited quantities...:)

Should be a bunch, I just want to see how they stack up against the relic in the picture. They are from Dexter Russell, #2386H-6. I called them, and was assured it was high carbon steel rather than stainless steel. I'm going to order one and see.

Should be a bunch, I just want to see how they stack up against the relic in the picture. They are from Dexter Russell, #2386H-6. I called them, and was assured it was high carbon steel rather than stainless steel. I'm going to order one and see.

Thanks, they work great on the outdoor grill!

img_1254296_0_576a63a6824035d19cf29f51fc4b8a5f.jpg
I volunteer at the homeless shelter at a local church. I'm the overnight host, and several years ago I started getting up early and cooking breakfast for our guests. The church kitchen has big, old American range, 6 burner with a big griddle, and the griddle is what I cook on. There are some spatulas that have just always been there, 3, identical, and I like them. A lot. They are carbon steel, the kind you have to dry. About 13 1/2 inches long, walnut handles, brass rivets, solid. Square nose. The flat is about 3 1/4" x 6", but here is the thing. Spring tempered, roll tapered carbon steel. These are perfect, and I wanted to get myself a pair of them, but they are impossible to find anywhere (so far). I found one mfr., Dexter Russell, that offers a choice of SS or carbon steel until I try to buy, then offers ony the SS. Any help, anybody? Thanks!
'Dexsteel' is more like high carbon steel than most stainless
Check out-
Dexter-Russell 16231 8" x 3" Solid Turner - Beechwood Handle

Last edited:
I got the three carbon steel spatulae in the mail today. Very nice, high carbon, roll tapered, beechwood handles with brass rivets. They go for about $25 from Dexter Russell, the manufacturer (yup, made in the USA), but can be found on Ebay for about $15+s&h. That is where I purchased. Not quite as sweet as the oldsters, but nicer than anything else new I've seen. Dexter-Russell, Inc.

Last edited:
I'm glad they at least meet expectations, now they just need some loving work and get some grease into those handles.

Back
Top Bottom