Cheese Slicers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I use a cheese plane for cutting slices of cheddar. You have to be careful near the edges or a piece might crumble off. The slices are very thin, so you have to use several.

41uxN%2B5gslL._SY355_.jpg

When I lived in Denmark, I often use a hand held wire cheese cutter:

cheese_slicer_wire.jpg

Instead of buying a gadget I would adapt the sandwich to the cheese and try making a sandwich filling that highlights the crumbles!

Try a cheese and pickle sandwich filling made with a mixture of cheese crumbles and Branston pickle or Major Grey's mango chutney, maybe a few chopped walnuts for crunch.

I think this idea from Greggs would be great with grated apple and a squirt of lemon juice.

https://www.greggs.co.uk/menu/sandwiches/cheddar-cheese-savoury-/

Good luck!

If you own a meat slicer, that should do the trick. Put the cheese in the freezer for 15 minutes and the slices shouldn't crumble that easily.;)

I'd just get a simple wire cheese cutter. They vary in price from low to mid range mostly, though I'm sure you could find a really expensive one if you took the time to search. :mrgreen:

An ordinary veggie slicer, like what you peel spuds or carrots with, makes a great cheese plane. The only downside is that the cheese block must fit the slicer blade. Me, I generally use my Chef's knife. Quick, easy, and good control to make thin slices without crumbling the cheese.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

An ordinary veggie slicer, like what you peel spuds or carrots with, makes a great cheese plane. The only downside is that the cheese block must fit the slicer blade. Me, I generally use my Chef's knife. Quick, easy, and good control to make thin slices without crumbling the cheese.

Yep. Never really seen the need for a special tool to cut the cheese. ;)

Yep. Never really seen the need for a special tool to cut the cheese. ;)
We buy almost all of our cheese in chunks. Having the right tool is helpful. If someone only occasionally buys cheese in chunks for sandwiches, yeah, other tools are probably good enough.

My cheese plane gets used a lot. When I lost my vegetable peeler, I used it to peel carrots. A spoon might have been easier, but I had never heard of peeling carrots with a spoon back then.

Ha..I think most of us got it Rick. Having raised two boys, cutting the cheese, stomping on toads etc. was so hysterical for them, and they never appreciated my eye rolls..:rolleyes:

Ha..I think most of us got it Rick. Having raised two boys, cutting the cheese, stomping on toads etc. was so hysterical for them, and they never appreciated my eye rolls..:rolleyes:

So... OK. Cheese toad sandwich. What sort of bread is best? :LOL:

Well somebody got it! :LOL:

At huntin' camp, in the U.P., it was buck snorts. In San Diego, it was barking spiders. A friend once gave me a gag gift, a can of barking spider eggs. The label was on a closed can, filled with, yep, you guessed it, pork and beans. We need an emoticon for mildly humorous.

Wry Bread, of course!!
:LOL: You're killin' me here, PF! :ROFLMAO:

taxy, back to your original comment. I did buy a cheese slicer like this one after using it at a neighbor's house when we were getting ready for a party at her place. Love it!
marblecheeseslicer.jpg

For a few slices, though, it's rather cumbersome.

Last year, when we were visiting the kids, Himself and I took a ride to Amish Country for cheese and smoked sausage. Bought a Rada cheese knife and use it a lot. You have to get the hang of the angle when slicing, though, since the knife seems to angle in towards the block (for me, at least), resulting in slices way thicker at the bottom than the top. Now that I know its quirks I can slice cheese wafer-thin and evenly. For around $6 bucks or so, too, it was a deal!
R139.jpg

CG, one of these days I'll get a cheese guillotine like that one with the marble. I just don't have room for more stuff in my kitchen. The cheese knife looks cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom