"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Cherry pitters

Who has one of the cherry pitter contraptions? Do they work? Does it matter what size the cherry is? There's one at Williams-Sonoma that looks interesting.

ps8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Sous Chef
Good question. I almost bought one the other day but didn't know how useful it would be.

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I have one like it, different brand, same idea. It work fine. It helps if you have strong hands
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef
I have a cheap one. I think I got it at Wally-world many, many, years ago. I've only used it for a few things, usually olives, not cherries.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
I have one & it works well for cherries and olives-a cheapie that I've had for years. I used to make alot of cherry pies for hubby (his favorite).
designerobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
I got mine from Bed Bath & Beyond for about ten bucks (less with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon) and used it for the first time last week. Made a super deelish pie using fresh cherries.

I found that the trick to using it is to pit the cherries into your hand - that way you can tell right away if you got the pit or just a pit-sized piece of fruit flesh because your cherry was not positioned right.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
I have a cheap plastic one that I've used a few times over the years. It works fine - misses a few pits here and there, so you have to double check it's work before adding the cherries to your baking. I've ran through pie cherries as well as some of the larger varieties of cherries with the same results. Mine splatters juice out as it pits the cherries, so my clothes and the floor end up being a sticky mess afterward. However, if you're doing significant quantities, I'm sure a pitter is an easier and faster alternative to pitting by hand.
lhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Pitting by hand? That sounds horribly tedious. I think I'll buy one & see how it goes. I LOVE cherries! I'd grow a cherry tree if I could, but they don't grow down south I'm told.
ps8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
Master Chef
Mine is made from a heavy metal of some kind. Yes, I mostly use it to pitt olives for things like tapenade and mufalletas. It is wonderful, even when the pitts don't fit through the hole, it really saves a lot of time by loosening them so I can just easily pick them out. Also if you make cherry pies/cobbler, etc. A worthwhile purchase for me, as we are real olive lovers and hubby likes me to make tapenade a lot.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I had a plastic one and switched to a metal one - I prefer the metal and it wasn't expensive. We pit a lot of kalamata olives so it comes in handy. I can't imagine not having one.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote