Cleaning wooden spoons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
I can honestly say I have never had this problem beforee, I am ghoping some one can help me!

In my rental appt I got an IKEA start kit and put most of the stuff provided in the flat away, bar one or two things, in cluding two wooden spoons. With the one I got in the IKEA kit that gives me three, but I really mainly used the IKEA one, and had the others for emergencies.

The other dasy I went to grab one of the spares, and it was covered in yukky white mould, which I put down to part of the mould problem we have here, and found anoher, clean utensil, wached the wooden spoon and thought no more of it.

The next day I had more time so I emptied the utensil drawer, cleaned it out and washed all the utensils and put them away much later when everything was dry. Then, the next day TWO of the wooden spoons had the white mould on them. I have removed the old spoons and put them in a plastic bag and in a cupboard with all the other provided stuff and put it out of my mind, but today I went to get my wooden spoon, and, you've guessed it more of this mould. none of the other utensils appear effected, but I have washed them all and the drawer again, just in case.

Is it possible to clean the spoon/spoons to a usable condition again? I am wary of washing and using while they "look" clean incase there are horrid spores on them? I always hand wash wood, but here its acaademic, as I have no dishwasher! I tried boiling them in the spegetti pot, but agaibn, the mould was back next day.

I am only using hat water and washing up liquid, would consider something more but I am obviously thinking that the wood will absorb and hold on to what ever its cleaned with.:ermm:

Any ideas?

use the cheapest Chlorox bleach you find and make a 50/50 soln with plain water and soak the things in it for an hour or 2.
No longer as the wood will eventualy split.
the chlorox breaks down to plain salt and is harmless, don`t use the expensive stuff with the thickening gels and scents added :(
Hydrogen Peroxide it also good.

if you do any deep fat frying, don`t be afraid to use them to stir or mix with either, the intense heat and oils will cease any microbial activity in an instant! :)

OK, will try right now YT, thank you....

and the bleach will come out well enough, you think?

LOL. ok here goes......

plop, ....

there - they are soaking now!

Lulu, chuck those ones and buy new ones. Then you can wash the new ones the way YT suggests. ICK! What a nasty experience!

CSalt, if it`s the really cheap bleach, all will be good.
it only contains roughly 5% Sodium Hypochlorate (NaOCl), that breaks down to nothing harmful in ANY way :)
same with Hydrogen Peroxide (medical), that turns into water and Oxygen, it`s the Oxygen concentration the little beasties don`t like :)

again tho, don`t soak too long, I did that once (over night) and my wooden spoon looked like a demented Fork next morning :)

Alix, its a big problem here....My designer shoes ar all being packed of to DH's office because the mould attcks them too....its a pain having to think a weekend in advance what shoes I might want to wear, lol.

I'm soaking them, I'll see how it goes!

Ewwwww! I`ve been involved in a Chat around Designer Shoes!
I feel so Violated and Dirty now! :shock:

how dare you inflict this Girly nonsense upon me AFTER I help you out! Arrrrrgggggh....:yuk:

I've completely given up on wooden spoons. Switched to long-handle bamboo "paddles" instead. They don't absorb food &/or water as much, if at all, like wooden spoons do, are easy to clean, & dry quickly & completely.

I'm sorry YT...there are very very nice shoes though, lol....

I LOVE wooden spoons, BC, I don't think I will ever have enough but I've never tried bamboo paddles..so I'll put them on my wish list!

It sounds like you all need a dehumidifier and some mildew hangers for your closets. That is a lot of mold!!
Household bleach is pretty much all the same. It does get weaker once opened.

Yeah, we have a dehumidifier that runs 24 hours, what we lack is a roof, lol, and there seems to be a pretty bad case of rising damp, but spring is in the air now!

BreezyCooking said:
I've completely given up on wooden spoons. Switched to long-handle bamboo "paddles" instead. They don't absorb food &/or water as much, if at all, like wooden spoons do, are easy to clean, & dry quickly & completely.

I own a lot of wooden spoons, paddles and turners. I've never had the mold problem with them.

But keep them out of the dishwasher! The machine detergent will strip off the luster and shine that's on them and make them old looking and worn. I already made that mistake with the first few!

The three new Oxo wooden spoons that I have will not be washed in there.

Last edited:
I have found that olive and bamboo can handle soaking and dishwashers. Other wood utensils are cheaper, and I'm sure they work for neat freaks to clean as soon as a spoon gets used. But the olive and bamboo can sit in the sink to soak and can take dishwasher abuse.

I love my olive wood spoons, they last much longer. I'm gonna buy a couple new ones next trip home and toss out the boys super cheap ones that look dead!!!

lu lu, I am sure your have a decorative medium jar with a wide mouth. Place
wooded spoons etc in it. Leave on counter. Do not place in drawers. They are decorative and just rinse and use. You see the decor in most magazines.

Aria said:
lu lu, I am sure your have a decorative medium jar with a wide mouth. Place
wooded spoons etc in it. Leave on counter. Do not place in drawers. They are decorative and just rinse and use. You see the decor in most magazines.

Aria, that is how I keep my utensils on hand -- in a white heavy glass/ceramic pitcher on the countertop, along with my wisks, spatula, ladels, etc.

Lulu, if you decide to buy new, I suggest silicone utensils. I have a set of all the above in black silicone, & have been very pleased.

(Lulu, I guess we can't mention our designer wooden shoes :LOL: )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom