Collagen vs. Natural Hog casings for sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
my meat grinder arrived yesterday, the lem #8 model, and it's a stainless steel thing of beauty.

i'll be making chicken or turkey burgers this week for dw, as well as beef burgers for my boy and i.

but then the fun's gonna start. along with the grinder, i bought some 32mm collagan sausage casings to try my hand at making italian style chicken sausage, as well as pork chorizo.

i've read a lot about different kinds of casings, and the reviews seem to be split over the thinner and relatively flavourless collagen casings, and the thicker, salted, natural hog casings.

does anyone have any experience using either of these for making sausage, and what are your preferences for different types of sausage?

tia. :chef:

thanks, s&p.

i'm probably going to smoke the pork chorizo, but make the italian chicken sausage in sauce, or grilled with peppers and onions.

have you used both? anything i should do in particular or watch out for with either?

i've read about having to wash the salt out of the hog casings, and then you have to store the unused ones in salt or brine in the fridge. also, collagen can split easily, but requires less prep and post work to use.

thanks, s&p.

I'm probably going to smoke the pork chorizo, but make the italian chicken sausage in sauce, or grilled with peppers and onions.

have you used both? anything i should do in particular or watch out for with either?

i've read about having to wash the salt out of the hog casings, and then you have to store the unused ones in salt or brine in the fridge. also, collagen can split easily, but requires less prep and post work to use.

I would use the natural for both. When collagen is used, I smoke wild game sausage which is finished off in boiling water. The heaver casing soaks up the smoke better, then is pealed off went eating the sausage just like a bologna skin.

BT, if you are going to smoke the sausage, go with the collagan, if fresh, go with the natural.

Hi salt and pepper, I can see on LEM website that they sell already "smoke flavored casings". Have you never tried anything like this?
I'm just curious, I'm not gonna make my own sausages for the moment... :(

I've always used natural casings. Guess I'm just old school.

The natural ones are a bit more work but I like the idea of making my sausage authentic. We use the natural ones at work. You come across the odd imperfection with natural ones and they can break a bit easier, but it's not a biggy. Just start up again.

:pig:The Pirate's FIL is from Italy and has always made his own sausages. All kinds. He has always used the natural hog casings. I guess it all depends on what you saw your father use as in his case. :angel:

I have used both types of casings. I will only use the natural for any type of sausage unless there is truly no alternative. The flavor and the bite of a sausage with the collagen casing is completely wrong. My feeling is why would I use a casing if yI have to remove it to eat the sausage?

Just my personal feeling. Everyone's opinion is their own.

Have a ton of fun with the grinder. It's amazing how many types of sausage you can make!

I have used both types of casings. I will only use the natural for any type of sausage unless there is truly no alternative. The flavor and the bite of a sausage with the collagen casing is completely wrong. My feeling is why would I use a casing if yI have to remove it to eat the sausage?

Just my personal feeling. Everyone's opinion is their own.

Have a ton of fun with the grinder. It's amazing how many types of sausage you can make!

I love the 'snap' of a natural casing. :angel:

yeah, and the snap of a towel on the bottled water delivery guy's butt, i'll bet... :angel:

thanks very much, everyone. especially iljewel. and welcome.

i'll try the collagen ones i've already bought, but will certainly give natural hog and lamb casings a go.
:chef:

Different casings for different things. :chef:

I think you'll be happy with your LEM.

Did you get different plate sizes?

It makes a difference for different outcomes.

Experiment and have fun with it. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom